Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Sep-2005, 15:42
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Coring Exhausts?

Just wondering what peoples opinion is on Coring Exhausts? Anyone had any experience of doing this and any known problems or issues?

I found this site which explains a process:

http://www.ducatisuite.com/superbikemufflers.html

I have a friend who has done it to an Aprillia but he did the whole Core job by putting in a new core of 65mm.

If this was to be done what would the implications be? Is there anyway to control how loud it will be, so as to have it loud enough but not too loud?

Also what about chipping, would it need 45mm open pipe chip?

Thanks
Old 15-Sep-2005, 16:01
500SD

Mood: Not sure
I had my cans cored by Baines racing on my old 996, they set up the fueling for the free flow cans and it ran fine, standard look but you get the proper noise (it was as loud as any race cans)
I don't think I'd go that route again though as you don't have any standard cans to put on if they do clampdown on loud cans or can't find a friendly MOT station, better to buy some second hand cans off the board or ebay (thats what I did this time ) also if you do ever sell the bike you have standard cans to put back on and you can sell the race cans on, most dealers won't want a px without standard cans and most private buyers are the same.

Darren
Old 15-Sep-2005, 16:05
500SD

Ah but that's where the wonderful world of the Isle of Man comes in. You can buy bikes from show rooms with Illegal Race Cans on, there's no MOT and the road laws are a lot slacker.

I understand what you're saying though, but for releasing the proper sound for next to no money it must be an idea.

I'd imagine you could always repack them again.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 16:41
500SD

SportbikeS.com-Forums.....How to guide.Step by step guide to coring 748/9.. cans.You could buy a pair of cans S/H,keep the originals intact.The materials needed-perforated pipe and silencer wadding is cheap enough.The common brand name "performance" silencers are ludicrously expensive for what youre actually getting.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 16:48
Ducati Corse

Mine have been done along with a JHP chip. Glorious noise, wouldn't know about performance but it certainly sounds louder. I picked up a brand new standard pair off ebay for £46 so if i have any issues i can swap over in about five minutes (its passed three MOT's with the modded cans though)
Old 15-Sep-2005, 16:49
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by aka.eric
SportbikeS.com-Forums.....How to guide.Step by step guide to coring 748/9.. cans.You could buy a pair of cans S/H,keep the originals intact.The materials needed-perforated pipe and silencer wadding is cheap enough.The common brand name "performance" silencers are ludicrously expensive for what youre actually getting.

Thanks for the link, I was thinking the same thing about the branded silencers. I'll probably get some carbon jobbies in the future just for bling factor, but while I'm skint, I thought I'd at least unleash the proper sound of my Duke.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 16:52
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
Mine have been done along with a JHP chip. Glorious noise, wouldn't know about performance but it certainly sounds louder. I picked up a brand new standard pair off ebay for £46 so if i have any issues i can swap over in about five minutes (its passed three MOT's with the modded cans though)

To be honest I don't think many people get cans for the performance, as it doesn't do a great deal to it. Maybe helps it breath a little better. But everyone always thinks it'll give them oodles of power, which it won't. Similarly the thought is the same with full systems. You may gain a little more but the torque will be much further up the rev range, making it even more frustrating in town and maybe seeming like it has less power in those situations.

Supposed to be due to the loss in back pressure, from what I've read.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 18:04
500SD

All manufacturers spend big money designing,testing exhaust systems to work well with the engine and remain within noise regs.A "road"silencer with intricate baffling can be a work of art.The "performance"silencer is a length of perforated pipe wrapped in wadding inside a tube.Very few have been anywhere near a dyno,majority are copies of a "brand" name,which probably didnt do much in the first place.We allow ourselves to be conned into buying products that are associated with performance/racing,a world apart from a road bike.Buy a couple of stickers!
Old 15-Sep-2005, 20:18
Ducati Corse

Also mine are now a heck of a lot lighter than the stock cans.
Old 16-Sep-2005, 01:07
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by 748IOM
Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper

To be honest I don't think many people get cans for the performance, as it doesn't do a great deal to it. Maybe helps it breath a little better. But everyone always thinks it'll give them oodles of power, which it won't. Similarly the thought is the same with full systems. You may gain a little more but the torque will be much further up the rev range, making it even more frustrating in town and maybe seeming like it has less power in those situations.

Supposed to be due to the loss in back pressure, from what I've read.

i have cored cans with a JHP chip and i'd agree with the above opinion 100%. lowdown torque is affected and riding at anything less than 20mph is a bit of a pain in the neck. they sound lovely though!