Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-May-2006, 21:13

Hi Neil, Steve Robins here.Iv'e been trying to get my wife to post a picture for you,only to have Phill 911 to beat us to it,with his last post.This is the way i'm intending to go,i thought maybe an early JHP/ITG lozenge shaped 916 in the airbox type,that fits over both bellmouths.A 1 or 2 bhp loss wouldn't be noticeable at the seat of the pants and would only be any good whilst braging at the bar,but the benefit of the foam filter would be priceless.My 851/916 is up at Moto Rapido being sorted out at the moment,but i haven't fitted the carbon airbox etc yet. Steve
Old 01-May-2006, 21:17
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
and the filter over the throttle bodies - again I'm not sure, I thought of doing this but I'll lose a lot of airbox volume with this and I'm not certain how much power / torque is lost with this solution.
When I post a pic of my airbox fitted up I'll show what I was thinking - it may not work at all.
cheers

Neil
Old 01-May-2006, 21:21

Oh by the way when the factory brought Pollen's 888 to Plymouth uni it had no blanking plate on the front of the tank,if you held the throttle open you could see right down the inlet track on the rear pot to the valves! Steve
Old 01-May-2006, 21:26
500SD

Steve, I take it you mean the last photo Phil posted - if it's only 1 or 2 brake then it's the way I'll most likely look at.
I guess I'll have to try a few different solutions on the dyno to see just what happens eh.
In this way at least the intakes are pretty well protected.
cheers

Neil
Old 01-May-2006, 21:27
500SD

Quote:
Oh by the way when the factory brought Pollen's 888 to Plymouth uni it had no blanking plate on the front of the tank,if you held the throttle open you could see right down the inlet track on the rear pot to the valves! Steve

gulp....
Old 01-May-2006, 22:38
Mille

Mood: Privileged ...
At the entrance of the tank, the airflow knows its next destination !!! ...

Phil911
Old 01-May-2006, 22:40

Hi again,i vaguely remember the factory gianed 1 or 2 bhp,by raising the fuel tank of the frame by about 1".The airbox on these bikes isn't a pressurised unit like the 916,as it dosn't seal to the bottom of the tank. You will achieve a ram effect using the X shaped carbon intake,but the airbox isn't a sealed resonance chamber,hence the redesign on the latter 916/955 racers. imho. Steve
Old 01-May-2006, 23:01

Nice shot phill which i think backs up my point, as the rear of the airbox doesn't seal to the tank,but doe's allow a large volume of cool air to sit over the bellmouths.By the way i think the mesh in the bellmouths is likely to cause some restriction without offering any worthwhile benefit,apart from small children not being sucked in!!!!!! Steve
Old 01-May-2006, 23:29
Mille

I agree with you regarding restrictions !!!

... but I didn't to take high risks with inlet airflow, sometimes supposed to transport some out of place particles ... on tracks or open open roads !!!
Old 01-May-2006, 23:38
Mille

""" i vaguely remember the factory gianed 1 or 2 bhp,by raising the fuel tank of the frame by about 1"""

I knew that ... Congratulations !!!

I confirm with the following pic ...
There's a high alloy item on the front part of the tank, fixed on the frame ...