Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Jun-2003, 14:16
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
916 broke down again !!

2 hours stuck at the side of the A55 by chester and no-ne stopped this time. Anyway, new battery fitted a couple of weeks back, and when running it's putting out 13.5 volts, yet the battery went flat when riding. symptoms - temp guage running cooler, rev counter reads odd, and any braking / indicators makes the bike cut out, also no power when gassing it. It got me about 10 miles before the battery was drained and it cuttout completely. So charged the battery, and am still getting 13.5 volts when running.
Bit odd or what ?? any ideas anyone where to look next ?
Old 30-Jun-2003, 15:52
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Sounds like the regulator could've gone awol.
You should be getting about 14.4V with the bike running at 2-3000 rpm.
The other thing to check is the wiring connector coming from the alternator.
It's behind the battery tray, 2 yellow wires. Mine fried itself a few weeks ago, again, and suffered similar symptons
Old 30-Jun-2003, 16:43

I would suspect the reg too, seems strange that you had a ok'ish reading and it stil lwent flat.

Your not running stupid headlight bulbs are you?

Alarm?

Any shorts anywhere?

BTW im only down the road in Warrington if you want any help, sorry i didnt see, i would have stopped!!

Kev
Old 30-Jun-2003, 21:15
500SD

Found the problem. Bloody loom has burnt out. Where the rectifier connects has turned into a nice plastic blob, and a couple of wires have lost their sheilding. Hmm i feel a new loom coming on.
Tell you what no wonder ducati where up **** creak a few years back with build quality like this.
Anyway at least it keeps you warm having a nice thin blue blame running down the lenght of the bike - dead handy for summer. I only wonder whats caused this problem to happen, usualy bad earths and poor connectors generating heat i suspect.
Oh well, another few weeks of the road. Now wheres my trusty 2 stroke

Oh and thanks for the offer for help i really appreciate that. i suspect Billy (also in warrington) will be getting a nice little job this week.
If your up for a spin into northwales one weekend give us a shout. i used to live in ruthin till 3 years ago and know some belting roads up there - plod free too

[Edited on 30-6-2003 by crm250]
Old 30-Jun-2003, 21:38
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
You probably won't need a new loom.
Mines melted twice now and the last time I repaired it with some hefty bullet connectors. Crimped and soldered.
Grease them up with electrical grease thme wrap them tape to keep 'em clean.
There's some slack on the cable on the alternator side to be used.
Old 30-Jun-2003, 22:08
500SD

Suspect your right, and i think i found the problem (all my own fault - am kicking myself here). I fitted a optimate connector lead to the battery last week, and to my horror the earth nut (where all the cables meet the bracket on the earth stub) was finger tight. Christ just imagine how hot that was getting. Oh my god what have i done. Stripped the sheath off and its toasted the wire as far as i can see.
I know its only a 95 916, but i havent skimped on anything as yet and dont want to start now really, so changing the main part of the loom looks no more than a days work so i suspect i will keep my eyes peeled for a good second hand one, or just buy a new one and be done with it.
At least then if i decide to sell it later on i can sell with a clear mind.
Feel free to post slanderous remarks about me being a baffoon with a spanner and not checking something so simple to have such devastating after effects.
I suspect there is a lesson to be learnt here, and never will i make the same mistake again.
Old 01-Jul-2003, 11:58

Dont worry mate, the Regs on the early bikes are bit suspect (so whats new, standard ducati problem since Adam was in short Kecks). Might not be anything to do with you.

Im with Nelly, id just remove the damage lenghts and replace, nothing dodgy about it, use heatshrink and PVC wrapping.

should be fine.

Kev
Old 01-Jul-2003, 17:22
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Mr B. Affon!

I go with you, if its worth doing do it properly ie fit a new loom!
Old 01-Jul-2003, 23:18
500SD

Cheers, well the good news is, it only torched 1 wire, and i have fixed / patched it up for now by replacing 1 of the thick yellow wires, and snipping off the smaller block connector / plastic mess and putting spades in place. all works fine. Well until i put a load on it anyway i suspect then it will heat up again nicely.
For the cost of the new small section of loom (around £40) and a new rectifier i will be fixing it up as it should be just for peice of mind, and when i sell it i can sell with a clear mind with no bodging on the bike.
Bike is in pretty good shape as it is for a 95 model (if the frame paint looks a little faded in places and a bit of corrosion on the engine cases and a bit of paint flaking off the rear wheel) so i feel it's worth making the effort keeping on top of it.
At the end of the year my plans with the bike are to get billy to strip and rebuild the bike, with a respray of the wheels and frame in original paint, and refinish the motor cases, any nasty bolts or corroded items to be replaced with genuine parts, and try to keep the bike in it's original glory.
Bit over the top for an old 916 perhaps, but it's what turned it around for ducati, and it would be a doddle to sell with low mileage and full (if overdone) service history should i want rid.
I spent over 3k restoring my old F reg RWB NC30 to park it up in the house, but its one hell of an ornament in the hallway.
The little YSR80 has just gone the sameway, and after riding that upto Oulton park for the BSB later this year - i suspect that will also be relegated to ornament.
Hmmm any room in the house for a 916 ??
Nope i need to make room for a NSR250SP which is going to get the same treatment when funds permit

Watch this space
Old 02-Jul-2003, 10:20

Quote:
Originally posted by rcgbob44
I go with you, if its worth doing do it properly ie fit a new loom!

Dont understand your logic here mate. THe Ducati item has already proved itself insufficent for the job. Your gonna replace it something you know is bad?

I can build a better loom than Ducati, for a start id use decent gauge wire on parts of the loom where you know are gonna be a high load and using waterproof conectors is something i do to all of my bikes.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk

or something.

Kev