Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Jun-2006, 13:27
Mille

SP2 Gear Change Problem

Need some advice - on the last two rides now, my SP2 has been very reluctant to change down gears, making the 140 mile round trip to work a little difficult. I removed the foot change, cleaned it up, greased it, refitted, but this didn't seem to make much difference. There is no problem on the upshift,as the return spring is strong, but on the down shift, the return spring does not seem anywhere near as good so the lever is not returning to the correct position, therefore making it almost impossible to change down any more. Pulling off in 2nd, and even 3rd gear is no fun, I can tell you !

Any ideas from you technical guru's ?
Old 05-Jun-2006, 14:42
500SD

your dogz are bolloxt!!!
Old 05-Jun-2006, 15:24
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
This has happened on a couple of the DD bikes.

I discussed it with Mitch at TecMoto, and he says that it's a common thing with the return spring on the gear selector to either break the pins, or for the springs to break or become detached.

This means that you get no "return" on the gear selector. This would be the same as you pushing down on the gear lever, but keeping it held down. In some cases you can get round it by selecting down one gear, then selecting up one gear. This won't go back up the box, but will return the selector back to centre, so you can then put it down another gear.

You should be able to drain the oil and remove the side cover. Examine the gear selector forks for broken pins, broken spring or a detached spring.

You might be lucky and it has either popped off or come out of alignment. Eric The Red fixed his in Assen by resetting the selector fork and tightening everything back up. You may be lucky and be able to do the same.

I hope I've explained it well enough, but someone like Dr AK would be your best bet...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 06-Jun-2006, 23:47
Mille

A good explanation Antonye - thanks for that. I will do as you suggest and have a look at the selector mechanisms.

Sorry to be dim, but who's Dr AK ?