Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Mar-2004, 21:07
GTL

Mood: me in a mood? NEVER!
heres a question for you clever guys.

got a 749 and replaced chip, ecu and clocks has told to do so by a ducati agent because was strugling retrieving the red key. so any way changed the parts and the bike runs like a swiss watch but problem I have now is the rev counter doesnt seem to show true revs when you blip the throttle. any ideas??
Old 30-Mar-2004, 21:43
500SD

Mood: head down
hi mark
had the same prob with my 999 after a clock change , does the imobiliser work ?
i took mine back to the dealer and he sorted the problem with the plug in fault finder "mathisis" i think its called( do you give gas and there is a delay in the rpm shown?)
Old 30-Mar-2004, 21:43

Mood: JOYOUS
I just traded in my 996s (for a multistrada) the battery on the 996 would not take a charge so I jump started it from another battery, after I got it running I disconnected the second battery and noticed the rev counter was not displaying anything like the revs the engine was actually running at. It was showing about 7000 rpm when the engine was running at about 2000 rpm! On reconnecting the second battery the rev counter worked perfectly. I don't suppose this helps but its something to check for. Also I'm not sure about the 749 but on my Multistrada you can change the settings on the dash to whatever bike its fitted to by scrolling through the different options. I would not have thought this would make any difference to the rev counter though as they are all twins.
Old 30-Mar-2004, 22:15
GTL

well not sure if the imobiliser is working or not cos once the keys in the egnition and the dash lights do there dance the key light goes out, then press and it fires up like a new one and shows the right reading when ticking over but has soon as you rev it the engine revs up great but when looking at the clock it doesnt go up as quick as the engine revs do, battery is fully charged and is starts straight away.
Old 30-Mar-2004, 22:18
500SD

sounds like what mine did ,does the red light flash when the keys are taken out?
Old 30-Mar-2004, 22:20
GTL

yes arent they supposed to? and if I leave it for a few days it stops flashing. I thought tha was part of the imobiliser but I could be wrong.
Old 30-Mar-2004, 22:31
500SD

no thats normal, did the dealer change all the parts or did you do it your self?
Old 30-Mar-2004, 22:40
GTL

i did it cos bought the bike accident damaged and didnt get red key off the place I got it from so the ducati agent wont replace for free and I am a mechanic myself. I have a 748 and do all my own work on it but this 749 has been more trouble than its worth but I am sure some one will come forward with a idea. well I hope
Old 30-Mar-2004, 22:55
500SD

is there not a software link between all three cpu display and key set that must be set by the dealer.........
if you want ill ask in the morning what the prob with mine was
Old 30-Mar-2004, 23:03
GTL

no I dont think so, plus it does run so well. I would sooner it didnt run and then find the fault but this is not the case. yes please do cos anything right now would be a help.