Ducati Sporting Club UK
New User Introductions
A chance for new users to introduce themselves, tell us of their bikes, rides and aspirations and buy a drink at the virtual bar!

Old 22-Mar-2015, 16:24

2002 model 900SS

Hi newby on here.

I have a 2002 model 900SS which has a MPH speedo but the mileage seems to be recording in kilometers, is this normal (Bike was originally from KJM Superbikes so is likely an import). Is it possible to obtain a new speedo which reads out in MPH and records the mileage in miles. Any advice/help would be appreciated.
Old 23-Mar-2015, 15:12
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hello & Welcome on board!

Always nice to see another 900ss owner on the site.

Ive heard of your problem before but couldnt remember the resolution. 'Speedo healers' only seem to convert fully foreign displays where at least it seems, your bike shows road speed correctly.

One bit of advice I read was to "Use a sat Nav to measure one mile travelled. Compare with odo at start and finish" or a known distance, neat idea.

Not sure how hard it would be to replace with a UK cluster but sounds EXPENSIVE.

Good luck
Old 23-Mar-2015, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic944ss
Hello & Welcome on board!

Always nice to see another 900ss owner on the site.

Ive heard of your problem before but couldnt remember the resolution. 'Speedo healers' only seem to convert fully foreign displays where at least it seems, your bike shows road speed correctly.

One bit of advice I read was to "Use a sat Nav to measure one mile travelled. Compare with odo at start and finish" or a known distance, neat idea.

Not sure how hard it would be to replace with a UK cluster but sounds EXPENSIVE.

Good luck

We have a measured mile locally so I'll measure it off against that and see how we go.

Even though I am sure it is recording kilometers it's not a big issue as the speedo is recording in mph. It's really just nice to know, as I bought the bike thinking it had 7000 miles on the clock but its looking like it had only done 7000 kilometers!

Regards John
Old 23-Mar-2015, 23:17
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Hi John, welcome to the forum!

We did a similar conversion on an SSie and when we fitted an old speedo from the Superbike range it still didn't read correctly - mainly noticed in the speed reading rather than the mileometer.

It turned out that the speedos were different even though they look identical and the drive cable fits! We changed the speedo drive (that goes on the axle and connects to the other end of the cable) to a Superbike one and it started working, so must have has a different drive ratio to the original.

I had a look at the part numbers but it seems that the earlier Supersports may have had a different part numbers to later ones - maybe this is where the difference is?

2000-01 SSie
Speedometer (GB-MPH) 401.4.012.1A
Speedometer Transmission 8000.74049 (this pn doesn't look right to me!)

2002+ SSie
Speedometer (GB-MPH) 401.4.018.1A
Speedometer Transmission 498.1.009.1A

2002 Superbike (748/998)
Speedometer (GB-MPH) 401.4.032.1A
Speedometer Transmission 498.1.009.1A

You can find the part manuals online: http://ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

It will be worth trying to figure out which speedo it was swapped to and then you can figure out if you need a different drive to match it.

Hope this helps!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!