Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Feb-2005, 15:42
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by octo
Quote:
Originally posted by andybcurrent wsb winning bike

Just like my WRX is not the WRX Solberg drives, his is a bit more expensive than mine, and he's a slightly better driver...

You’re getting somewhere now! 50% of the performance of a bike comes from the rider so, which one you own is just a personal thing, so make your choice and get out and learn to go fast on it.
By the way you don’t jump on a Duke and feel at home strait away, but when you get with it and start to ride it with some confidence, you will get the point. All sports bikes are better than their riders and both of your chosen steeds will blow your mind, but I bet you feel better on the Millie on the first ride.
But what about after three months?
coz your nearly a jap convert

[Edited on 13-2-2005 by ericthered40]
Old 13-Feb-2005, 21:10
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
i aggree with Eric !! A Ducati Riden to its full potential is better than an Aprillia Riden to its full potential.

/ian
Old 13-Feb-2005, 22:11
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Quote:
A Ducati Riden to its full potential is better than an Aprillia Riden to its full potential

Depends on the rider and what suits their style better IMO...
Old 14-Feb-2005, 12:49
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
Quote:
A Ducati Riden to its full potential is better than an Aprillia Riden to its full potential

Depends on the rider and what suits their style better IMO...

Thats the point tho twinfan, Asuming the Ducati Rider is better than the bike, and this is proven as Aprilia cant even get there feet off the ground with a race team in any descent competition whereas Ducati have Proven race pedigree.

/ian
Old 14-Feb-2005, 13:13
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
er.....apart from dominating the 125.......250s...... for a decade!
Old 14-Feb-2005, 13:37
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I was in the car the other day and just caught the tail end of a discussion about religion on the radio.

If you think about it, throughout history most of the trouble in the world has been caused by people saying "my religion is best, and your religion has to bow down to mine". Isn't that where we are with everything that people feel passionately about? So in making statements like "my religion is best" I think we always forget two very small words - "for me".

So now if I make a statement like "Ducati's are the best motorcycle in the world for me" what is there to argue about? If other people don't get it, why worry.
Old 14-Feb-2005, 15:02
Montjuic

Mood: Lascivious
Octo, both are excellent bikes, so either one will give you good times.

For what it's worth, a friend bought an Edwards rep last year. At £8.5k, it was a steal - all the top notch stuff, good build quality, superb handling and fast as a very fast thing. Big b*gger tho. I could see why he raved about it and why he bought it, and he had no problems with it.

At the time, I was still in prevarication mode - weighing up a 998 against the 999, and all the arguments came into play. The sum of the Aprillia parts clearly represented better value than the Duke and a man of my advanced years would be unlikely to exploit any small performance difference. However, never once did I consider the Aprillia as an option - it just didn't do it for me.

Personal choice, that's what it's all about. Just don't come cryin' to me........

Old 14-Feb-2005, 15:31
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Quote:
Aprilia cant even get there feet off the ground with a race team in any descent competition whereas Ducati have Proven race pedigree

Quote:

You messed up there weeian! The Aprilia WSB effort I would also consider a success. Multiple race wins, double wins and pole positions is a damn sight more than the FPR team have done. Aprilia build very good bikes, but the RSV wasn't quite right for me. I know of plenty of riders for who it is though. Don't underestimate how good their bikes are.

[Edited on 14-2-2005 by Twinfan]
Old 14-Feb-2005, 16:21

Just to add to the discussion....

I had an Aprilia RSVR for a couple of years. Loved the bike, covered over 12000 miles on it mainly on the road but a couple of track days, and plenty of long distance touring.

Reliability was an issue though...it never let me sitting at the side of the road but it did need a couple of sets of fork seals (Ohlins) which kept it off the road for about a week each time, and it melted a side fairing panel when it got too hot in Spain once. All the work completed under warranty. However the point that finally saw us parting company was when I returned from Switzerland in July 2003 and the rear brake needed bleeding after the altitude. It needed the power bleed so it went back to the dealer. The dealer told me that the head bearings needed replacing and that the bike was dangerous to ride as it was. The dealer ordered the parts and the bike sat in their workshop...it sat, and sat and sat and I chased and chased and chased. September came and I had enough, I took the bike back from the dealer and traded it in against a CBR600RR so I could have some reliable fun before the summer was over. The head bearings finally arrived from Aprilia in Italy at the end of November. The dealer didn't know that I had sold the bike and the parts are sitting in my garage to this day.

I am missing the V-Twin...I really admire the new Aprilia Factory and was really tempted, but the parts availability, which at the time was bad and this was before the financial troubles, was enough to put me off them. I am an Aprilia fan, but my deposit has just gone down on a new 999 and I am waiting for it to arrive. (Been waiting a week...only another 7 to go until it arrives!!)

Whilst I recognise that the Ducati might not be any more reliable than the Aprilia, I have comfort from the fact that there is a better dealer network and parts are, as a result, in more ready supply. I would hope, fingers cross and wood touched, that if I have any problems it will be sorted quickly and efficiently. I would not wish to experience the Aprilia incident again...over three months for a set of head bearings !

Thought I would share this with you...something well worth considering when making your decision.
Old 14-Feb-2005, 16:33
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
Quote:
Aprilia cant even get there feet off the ground with a race team in any descent competition whereas Ducati have Proven race pedigree

Quote:

You messed up there weeian! The Aprilia WSB effort I would also consider a success. Multiple race wins, double wins and pole positions is a damn sight more than the FPR team have done. Aprilia build very good bikes, but the RSV wasn't quite right for me. I know of plenty of riders for who it is though. Don't underestimate how good their bikes are.

[Edited on 14-2-2005 by Twinfan]

Sory Twinfan you are right there, but in comparison to ducati's race history its a drop in the pond.

/ian