Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 20-Jun-2011, 14:51
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
my race weekend

A short (!!!!!) summary

Had a great track day Friday, getting to know the track and the lines I preferred. Even the rain didn’t dampen the time as the tyres seemed fine in damp conditions. I felt like I was going ok, and had a couple of times on my timer show up at 2’28 and heard Ron was doing 25’s so felt I was close to getting a decent top 5 performance.

Fantastic Friday night of laughs with Kev on great form, and even Dallas having a small shant, and a few beers too many for me. Nick was late so I told her to go to the hotel; night in the trailer for me.

Sat morning was dry, which I was hoping for although having experience the wet a little with these tyres I wasn’t too worried. By qually, it was still dry and I managed to get out and clear a bit so could take my lines; wide late apexes carrying as much speed as I could. I was amazed to knock in a 25 though, and finish 3rd in class. Feeling good…..then the heavens opened!

Unfortunately we were running late so by the time we were out the track was wet, not damp and had very few dry lines. I was feeling nervous, being towards the front is still very new for me and a little of what I saw last year didn’t help! Anyway, Ron got a great start as always and flew past and straight across in front of me; eek!! Grass or brakes….so brakes and right and Mike collected me as he went thru the space which Ron left! First couple of laps were frantic, managed to change places with Mike every corner I think, block passes, fairing arms the lot! Bit like Anglesey eh Mike

Alas he went ‘dry’ fast into the left right at the end of Bentley straight and with brakes locked on went down taking Paul P out. Managed to avoid them, don’t know how, and the next couple of laps got worse and worse. I was begging for re flag, yeehar it came out! Only to restart…damn!!

Race 2 was similar to race 1 except I went super slow, knew I had Sunday yet and didn’t want to spend all evening repairing the bike, so settled in to let people pass and just bring it home safe…even if my mate the Dentist put me on the paint on the exit to turn 2!

I was cheering Phil on when I saw him get to the front of the pack I was following – go phil go!! Great 4th mate

Woke up Sunday and wasn’t feeling great, was really grumpy before I arrived at the track and my mood wasn’t lifted in the 3 laps warm up. TBH if I was closer to home I probably would have packed up and gone; just didn’t feel good.

Thanks to those who tried to lift my mood, its appreciated. I rarely get like that these days, but I have a fight or fight mechanism so am not easy to be around when the mood takes me!! And Roy did a great job of convincing me the gearing was right…

So we cane to race 2 and I was still a bit grumpy. Just wanted to get it over and get home. We lined up and I knew I needed a good start if I was to stop Ron blocking me again, and having a rev counter tested a new to me start. Seemed to work on the practice and off we went for the warm up lap.

Got a great start, cut thru the pack fairly well using room others were making into the hairpin on the inside and my fast corner speed to go round the outside on the infield section. Found I could go straight down the outside of the left hairpin and turn very late and tight and take quite a few there – a line and tactic learnt from having Badger do it to me lap after lap!!! Had some close passes, me and other getting past me, and started to feel the rhythm with Hugh and Ghost when the re flag came out! FFS gotta get a good start again this time!!

Sure enough Ron was ahead off the start, but this time I was far enough that I could take the outside line into turn 1 unblocked. Same as part 1, passing inside and outside and using all my corner speed to surprise others; everyone expects the inside overtake as outside its easy to push people out onto the grass.

I was still having issues with gear selection and decided I’d take the inside line at the last turn to take an place, but meant 3 gears needed to be despatched not 2. Unfortunately, the gearbox wouldn’t shift!! So it was a SHHEEEIITE moment as I arrowed at the corner rear off the ground desperately trying not to collect anyone and find a gear. By probably more luck than judgement Neil saw me and took avoiding action, which gave me a little space to avoid anyone else! Cursing in my helmet, I got down to second and off again…..

Most of the rest of the race was me Phil and Hugh swapping places, until Hugh took Phil’s front wheel on the exit of the esess. Don’t know ho he stayed on, both feet off the pegs, but being right behind them I just threw it into the corner and kept the throttle open.

Not sure where I got Hugh, but last lap flag out and I’m seeing Neal and know there’s no way I’ll catch him…then I see his bike coasting on straight…but that’s first?!

I knew High would have a go, and seeing as we’d had some close hard passes so far expected a lunge up the inside, so remembering what Kev has told me over the years I took inside blocking lines, sure slowed me down but meant he would have to go the long way….and that was it….win number 2, but my first 25 pointer!

I felt comfortable every dry session, with more and more feedback from the tyres and my knee being down gives me so much confidence to go faster and faster in the corners. Excepting a couple, of errors, I felt I had found a new comfort level which I hope I can build further on in the coming races.

I know I said I’d do the podium nude, but felt the circumstances and moment were not right. A friend was having a tough weekend and I didn’t want to make things worse, and I’d had the shone taken off a little with some negative comments about how close I pass etc.

All I can say is; anyone who thinks I was aggressive should have raced with Geoff Spencer and Dom Clegg!!

Here’s to the next one – roll on Pembrey!!
Old 20-Jun-2011, 19:35
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Well done Paul... Great win.
You think I'm forgetting the PROMISE you made of you doing a nude podium if you ever got a first. Dont think so.
The Kev's will back me up that you said it. :-)
Any podium will do, I can wait for a warm day if thats what your worried about, there is always paint shop to touch things up...lol

Well done M8

Craig
Old 20-Jun-2011, 22:56
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Yep, well done Paul!

Talk about wet Race 1, we got soaked just watching!!!

Andy
Old 21-Jun-2011, 17:29
Bikes: gsxr1000 plus ducati600ss

Mood: so,so
Well Done Fantastic on your win bradders
you have been really on it this year but keep your cloths on
i wish i could find what you found over winter
Old 21-Jun-2011, 21:41
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
thanks