Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Sep-2006, 16:43

Mood: Optimistic
EOBD light of death, yet again!

My bike as much as I love it, seems to be wanting to break down with every fault code it can think of. It's already had the ones associated with the fuel pump relay a couple of times but today it now doesn't want to play properly because it would rather keep showing codes 10.2. and 11.2 which after checking basically seems to be the ignition coils shorting to earth. This is happening intermittently and causes the bike to stop when the light illuminates.
I have phoned the nearest dealer who advise that the codes could be caused by a variety of gremlins.
So has anyone else had these codes shown and what caused them on your bike. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Old 28-Sep-2006, 16:48
GTL

Mood: Older, but none the bleedin' wiser
One for Nelly
Old 28-Sep-2006, 19:30

It's a 2003 but had one pack changed last year to the later type under warranty. To be honest, I bought a pair of coil packs ages ago on ebay cos I'd heard they messed up often, but I wouldn't imagine that they would both go faulty at exactly the same time though. I may change them at the weekend, just to see. It's getting a bit annoying because you start to wonder everytime you use it if you will complete the journey. I'm really tight and will only take it to somebody else to look at if I get really desperate, but that time may come soon!
Old 30-Sep-2006, 00:39
Mille

is it both or just one?
you now what to do, it's a quick job to put the new coils on,
sorry is all bad luck for you, but the coils do seem to go quite often,
I guss thats what it's like when there that highly tuned,a race bike for the road,
140 bhp from a twin, and that's why we love them so
Old 30-Sep-2006, 08:13
GTL

I think with that error have heard that it may be the pick up sensor on the alternator cover lhs of the bike which provides the signal to coils etc
Old 30-Sep-2006, 20:28

Thanks, I'll have a look at that then.
Old 04-Oct-2006, 20:54

And to make matters worse, it stopped on me on my way to work. And then stopped a second time and was difficult to restart. I managed to get it back home and went to work in the car. It's a brilliant ride when it's working but I am beginning to get voices in my head telling me to get rid and buy something from those nice Japanese people.
Old 04-Oct-2006, 21:40
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
If replacing the coil/plug caps hasn't or doesn't sort it, then the error Bolds mentioned could be the cause. It's the crank sensor, just to the left of the water pump housing in the alternator cover.
Old 05-Oct-2006, 19:33

Thanks Nelly I may be in touch soon, to be honest I haven't had time to have a proper look yet.
Old 28-Oct-2006, 21:29

Update. Crank sensor replaced today and it's run for 10 whole minutes without breaking down- which is a record. Fingers crossed and RAC card at hand for tomorrow!!