Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Nov-2006, 21:14
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricco749s
Lets face it, if bikes were bought entirely on looks alone, as some people seem to favour, we should/would all be buying the next real Tamburini designed Ducati, the MV Augusta F4.
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen an MV with a duke motor grafted in. Surely someone somewhere has done it.
Old 15-Nov-2006, 21:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
I have a feeling the 999 will go the way of the Lancia Stratos. They were ahead of their time and still in the showroom 2 years after production ceased. Multiple world championships, some loved it, others didn't, a radical design with centrally positioned drivers seat.

Sound familiar? Think the 999 will end up the same, maybe not quite with the same price hike, but try buying a Stratos now!
Old 17-Nov-2006, 09:53
Mille

well as an 05 999s owner, here's my take:

I think the 1098 doesn't look as innovative as the 999. I think the headlights and end cans are a cop out as the 999 ones were truly innovative and the 1098 front end looks very japanese and the cans are a step backwards. I like the return of the single sided swingarm though.

However I think that there will still be PLENTY of demand and interest in the 999 as not everone wants a quicker lighter bike and like me, some will prefer the innovative and unique look of the 999. i think the 999 will become as iconic than the 916 (shoot me down...) as it's been the most controversial bike and people will only really 'get it' after it's gone. Remember it will still be racing in WSB next year.

That said, this week I ordered two 1098's (not both for me, my mates upgrading from his R6). I've gone for the base model over the S as I simply prefer the colour of the forks on the base model (never liked the gold ohlins on my s) and the datalogging is of no interest. The power and weight are the same (apart frm 1.9kilos on the wheels which I doubt I will notice).

I'm getting the 1098 because I want the lower weight, shorter reach and extra oomph. If anyone is looking for a 999s, mines at motorapido and has a lot of money spent on it and it's mint and a great deal.

Ducati they are doing what the market has asked so you can't blame them as a manufacturer. I live in Poole and often go down the quay on a Tuesday night. Most bikers would walk past a 999 to salivate over an R6, so hopefully the 1098 will at least beneift us all by putting Ducati back in the public eye as the premium motorcycle manufacturer?