Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jun-2003, 14:30
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Help on seats needed

Since suffering a herniated disc Mrs Jools is having trouble coping with the bike.

She's made a reasonably full recovery but basically, she doesn't have the strength in her lower back to brace herself properly against acceleration or braking.

Mostly, she's a good pillion. I hardly know she's there when leaning it over, but like a lot of relatively inexperienced pillions she worries about falling off the back. To minimise this worry she keeps her weight forward, consequently, it's mainly braking that she has problems with, and she keeps sliding forward down the seat onto me. Taking two peoples weight on my arms under braking is a nightmare.

So the big question:

Corbin seats have a backrest option, which I'm sure would give her more confidence that she couldn't fall off the back (I know they look cack but I can put up with it on the ocassions that we're two up). That in itself would, I think, help her to keep her weight back against that and help stop her sliding forward, but I see the seat is also a bit like a horses saddle and has a raised section between the pillion and the rider. That looks as if it would help as well.

Has anyone got any ideas of whether a Corbin seat would really help in this situation? they're a hell of a lot of money just for a seat, and I wouldn't want to buy one just to find it made no difference.

I know you can get that webbing stuff much cheaper, but I think it would take more than that.

Another alternative, since I know of a tame upholsterer, is to get another seat unit from a breakers or something rip the original foam off and have a corbin copy made on the seat base. Again, not worth doing unless it works!

Oooh! Look at the number of posts... I don't think I'll post for a bit so I can say I've had a 749. Pity it's not an 'S'

[Edited on 24-6-2003 by Jools]
Old 24-Jun-2003, 15:19
Montjuic

Mood: when am i riding next?
a few thoughts Jools:

a top box would also be a backrest and storage. Paul J has one fitted now to his ST

The wonder web stuff works, Monty used it to Mugello for Jo

Monty also has a Gel pad which may help

Have you considered riding with a "pillion pal" belt, would help on the confidence front

As a last resort why don't she ride and you pillion..??..!!
Old 24-Jun-2003, 22:09
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Jools, the webbing works great, Jo used to slide all over the place but with webbing over the seat-no problem. I have a pillion pal strap thing if you want to try one. The gel seat looks as though it will improve comfort for her as well-I'm just SO good to her! Mind you it arrived 15 minutes after we left for Italy-typical.

John
Old 25-Jun-2003, 02:34
Montjuic

joolz theres a Corbin seat on ebay at the moment .. going for £150 currently .. might be worth a try.
Old 25-Jun-2003, 09:12
Mille

Mood: Xstatic
Jools ...you have Mail:P