Ducati Sporting Club UK
Alarms and Related Security
For the discussion of Alarms, Immobilisers, Trackers, Locks, Ground Anchors and other forms of motorcycle security.

Old 30-Dec-2004, 04:07
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
Anybody got an Abletronics Absolute Protec??

hey guys i was wondering what alarm to get in the spring, seen this got a 9 out of 10 in the security reviews.
has anyone got 1?

heres the link

http://www.motorcyclesecurity.co.uk/
click on alarms and imobilizers and its the alarm at the top.

/Ian
Old 30-Dec-2004, 12:42
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
yeah I've got one of them.

It's a re-badged Meta 357T. Comes with a four year guarantee of an insurance discount, and if an insurer refuses a discount then the alarm company will replace it with one that does get you a discount.

It's been installed for a year now and I've had no problems with it. I like the feature that lets you disarm it with a sequence of on/off with the ignition key for when you get stuck with a dead key-fob battery, and when it auto-arms itself it only puts it into ferry mode so there's less to messing about at petrol stops. Another feature is it monitors the battery and shuts itself off (leaving bike immobillised) so your bike will start if left for a while.

In hindsight, I'd've probably gone for the Datatool series 3 just because of the price (the Protec was bloody expensive!). But now Datatool are about to release a singing and dancing alarm which I'm told is much better than the series 3... don't know what's better about it tho, and don't know the release date yet, but apparently early '05.

Advice? I guess get the Protec if you don't mind coughing up for it, or wait for the new Datatool.

n
Old 30-Dec-2004, 15:32
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I have a Abletronics unit on my R6, its not the model you quote above but again its a rebadged Meta. Carole Nash wouldn't insure my R6 with it even with my 916 as the main bike on my policy. Ducati Insurance had no problems with it at all when I insued with them a few months ago, this time with the 998 as the main bike and the 916 and R6 also on the policy
Old 31-Dec-2004, 13:50
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
yeah I've got one of them.

It's a re-badged Meta 357T. Comes with a four year guarantee of an insurance discount, and if an insurer refuses a discount then the alarm company will replace it with one that does get you a discount.

It's been installed for a year now and I've had no problems with it. I like the feature that lets you disarm it with a sequence of on/off with the ignition key for when you get stuck with a dead key-fob battery, and when it auto-arms itself it only puts it into ferry mode so there's less to messing about at petrol stops. Another feature is it monitors the battery and shuts itself off (leaving bike immobillised) so your bike will start if left for a while.

In hindsight, I'd've probably gone for the Datatool series 3 just because of the price (the Protec was bloody expensive!). But now Datatool are about to release a singing and dancing alarm which I'm told is much better than the series 3... don't know what's better about it tho, and don't know the release date yet, but apparently early '05.

Advice? I guess get the Protec if you don't mind coughing up for it, or wait for the new Datatool.

n

This new Datatool alarm you mentioned is also in this February's BIKE mag. It says:

"Datatool Super Cat One S4 - A much improved alarm and immobilisor. It has been shrunk for easier fitting, it can be set in zero current draw mode and each box has a unique transponder tag. £349 includinf fitting - 0870 165 2414"

Ade.
Old 31-Dec-2004, 14:07
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
That's the one Ade.

That price is a bit steep tho... I think I'd go for the Protec over the S4, it's a tenner cheaper and I think more user friendly. PIN code override does it for me too, as I'm sure KB would agree!