Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Feb-2006, 00:37
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Heli Bars

I've got some risers fitted to my 748, but the riding position is still a bit of a pain in the neck (and wrists) - not to mention that because the angle of the bars hasn't changed, at full lock, my hands are right down at the side of the tank, making u-turns very awkward.

i'm thinking of getting some heli bars or something similar (if there is anything) which not only raises the handlebars, but also brings them back towards me and gives a flatter bar angle.

please relate your handlebar related experiences good or bad (pics would be nice if possible)

any problems with them? (especially fouling issues)

thanks
Old 08-Feb-2006, 01:01
Big Twin

Helibars are good, had them for long trips on my previous 996. Foolishly sold them when the 996 went. They are a couple of inch or so higher and maybe an inch or so more rearward. Much better for the wrists if you are tall but I found them to sit me up into the wind more which makes very high speed hard work. I am very tall and quite broad though. Am thinking of taking the 996r to France this year instead of the Multistrada and I cant decided whether to affix Helibars again. Its a choice between achey wrists with standard bars or more buffeting from the wind and more weight on my arse with the Helibars.

Sean (BDG) no doubt will be along any moment to extoll the virtues of Helibars. Did you know he gets a commision for every pair of Ducati Helibars sold in this country?
Old 08-Feb-2006, 08:16
500SD

thanks -

i don't think i'll be pushed up into the windblast to the same extent as i'm a different build to you (i'm 5'8" and slim) and also, i don't tend to get up to very high speeds 'cos for career reasons i have to avoid brushes with the law therefore 100mph is generally fine for me.

what is in issue isn't just the weight on my wrists, as the existing risers have reduced that, it's the steep angle of the bars making full lock turning almost impossible - not to mention that i still have to crane my neck to look at traffic lights and as i do most of my riding in london, that happens a lot
Old 08-Feb-2006, 11:39
Big Twin

If you do a search on here you will find a thread that mentions where to get the Helibars without paying an extortionate price for them. I think I paid about £250 or more 3 years ago. It sounds as if they are the ideal solution for you especially for riding round town etc. My main reason for fitting them at the time was for France trips where we were doing a lot of miles each day. The windblast I got was really only that noticable at fast touring speeds abroad where we would be going pretty quick for long periods of time. In hindsight I should have fitted an higher screen with the Helibars to counteract the more upright position.

Fitting them is pretty simple and should only take an hour or so.
Old 08-Feb-2006, 12:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
I love helibars, they have made the 996 useable for someone with a wrist that has been broken in 5 places in one accident, and again in another. They also give my neck less gip.

I'm a lanky fat git so fitted a high screen which makes HIGH speed riding far better as well. I've done several long trips round France and Spain and prefered taking the 996 to the Multistrada.

They are also far better for ordinary riding as well, but standard bars would be preferable on the track, but i don't bother changing them.

As for Martins suggestion i'm on commission, i wish, however i ordered mine direct from Helibars in the States, around £170 inc import duty (subject to exchange rate of course and they were here in less than a week. Sorted.

I'll try and remember to take some pics.
Old 08-Feb-2006, 20:33
500SD

www.cyclecat.com

If you anywhere near me pop around and have a look they are fantastic

[Edited on 8-2-2006 by m1keyp]
Old 08-Feb-2006, 23:11
Montjuic

ditto M1keyp
Old 09-Feb-2006, 08:34
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Saw what I thought was a better solution than heli bars at Nelly`s yesterday, It is a cranked top yolk from Speedymoto, very simple.
It replaces your top yolk allowing you to raise your existing bars without changing cables etc,etc. link attached.

http://secure.speedymoto.com/Merchan...gory_Co de=TC

http://www.cornerspeed.co.uk/

Chris.
Old 09-Feb-2006, 21:03
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by chris.p
Saw what I thought was a better solution than heli bars at Nelly`s yesterday, It is a cranked top yolk from Speedymoto, very simple.
It replaces your top yolk allowing you to raise your existing bars without changing cables etc,etc. link attached.

http://secure.speedymoto.com/Merchan...gory_Co de=TC

http://www.cornerspeed.co.uk/

Chris.

Looks trick too.

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by zhed44]
Old 09-Feb-2006, 22:28
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
I have a pair of cyclecat bars on my 916, i got sick of the cramp in the back of my neck where you were constantly lifting your head backwards to view through the top of the visor.
They transformed the bike, not only do they look a bit daft but the bike is so comfy, about an inch or so higher, but wider and flatter. managed 2400 miles last year in 5 days in spain and france with no pain or discomfort