Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Apr-2006, 07:37
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Ah here we go small plates again.
I cant see the problem, its not as if the ducati looks dreadfull with a full size plate (or do many bikes in fact) and they hardly slow us down, so i really dont think its worth the hassle. at the end of the day the law states we must have a plate a certain size, fair enough. we have gotten away with it for years and years in the past and now unless you have a barn door fitted to the back expect to get your collar felt.
The black visor law is just stupid and i think the majority of police would agree and only a few jobsworths would bother anyone for a visor (esp if you keep a clear with you incase you are out later than expected etc etc)
Ducati's also seem to get away with far more in terms or pipes too, IMO there is nothing more invading that the sound of a IL4 wailing down a race can at speed, ducati's are often just as noisy with the std systems but far less obtrusive and offensive.
Anyway back to the plate thing, i have gone to the other extreme, on the little YSR80 gag bike i went for a larger than legal plate - about 4 inches larger actually just to take the ****, its not often you can hear anyone say that they got thier plate down is it ? not only does the bike look comical on the road with a 5'11 rider who weighs a healthy 15 stone, but a massive plate bigger than the bike really makes the bike look smaller and even the local police can see the funny side.
Northwales police have a bad rap, most are actually ok and live in the real world and are carrying out that divvys instructions under duress, however look at it from thier point of view, weekends are full of bikers from all over getting creamed on thier roads, making too much noise upsetting people and sheep and pushing up the accident stats, so something has to be done.
Avoid the usual IL4 brigade routes (aften not the best roads anyway) and you will have no problems.

Anyway back to the plates, i blame suzuki esp the srad era, as the owners almost have tail tidys and small plates and loud cans as std, as it attempts to mask the seriously ugly arse end. that is the john prescot of bikes IMO

[Edited on 30-4-2006 by crm250]
Old 30-Apr-2006, 14:19
Mille
Bikes: 748R, ZXR 400

Mood: Glad to be back down south.
We all know the rules, we all know the rules blah, blah, blah!!
That's not what we're discussing here though is it. It is selective policing and the fact that certain police chiefs and certain police forces within this country, deliberately choose that their priority will not be ensuring the safety and security of the general public, it'll be to make a quick bust (and a fast buck) by harrassing, because that's what it is, a section of the motoring public that choose to use a particular form of transport as their leisure interest.
How do they do this, by pretending that noisy exhausts and undersize number plates deserve more police attention than your house being burgled or your children being mugged of their mobile phone.
Their obviously is a section of the biking fraternity that are a nuisance to themselves and others, but this doesn't justify the masses of police presence and their sometimes heavy handed and over zealous approach to "public safety".
Until policing in this country is 'seen' to be effective and fair, by concentrating on issues that are really at the forefront of the general publics concerns such as street crime, violent crime and drug abuse etc, then the authorities in charge have only themselves to blame for the very low esteem that the police are now held in.
Old 30-Apr-2006, 14:24
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by psychlist
Also, if your bike gets stolen and it can't be "recognised" by Mr Vigilant Police Officer on Patrol
When was the last time anyone saw one of those!!
Old 30-Apr-2006, 15:35
500SD

On the subject of noisy cans and bikes, when was the last time you saw a Harley pulled for loud exhausts, them mothers run straight thru pipes .But go on any Harley site and youll see no bitchin about getting pulled.

Double standards or the fact Harleys ride at 20 mph everywhere
Old 30-Apr-2006, 22:30
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Real McCoy
On the subject of noisy cans and bikes, when was the last time you saw a Harley pulled for loud exhausts, them mothers run straight thru pipes .But go on any Harley site and youll see no bitchin about getting pulled.

Double standards or the fact Harleys ride at 20 mph everywhere

perhaps ther s no bitch's?
Old 30-Apr-2006, 22:30
500SD

Mood: a ducati is for life not just for christmas
when i had my gixxer 1000 last year i had an inline plate .on my way back from stratford upon avon i was pulled over the copper gave me a telling off and sent me on my way but never fined me .There are some decent coppers out there.and before you all ask i did change the plate:P
Old 30-Apr-2006, 22:34
BSB Star

Most of whats been said here is shite............i, and i would know, do not know of any selective policing, to do with number plates, dark visors, or exhausts!

I dont know of anyone ever being done, or anyone doing any one for these offences!

FWIW, i caught a burglar in a stolen car today!..........and i was off duty!
Old 30-Apr-2006, 22:42
500SD

Did you stop him for a dodgy plate

Only joking well done mate, i got stopped yesterday for a small plate on my moto by plod on a dr 350, the bloke said ill not do you today its too sunny, top bloke and we had a good chat...nice one
Old 01-May-2006, 08:35
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Most of whats been said here is shite............i, and i would know, do not know of any selective policing, to do with number plates, dark visors, or exhausts!

I dont know of anyone ever being done, or anyone doing any one for these offences!

You've got to be kidding me, then we're all making it up then!!
Boxhill, Alton station, Lords Derby, all meets where I've personally seen police pulling and doing people for the above. A friend was pulled on easter sunday in the ****ing rain on the M3 for a major 'public safety' infringement (small plate), the copper forced him into the hard shoulder, and then almost got runover by a passing truck as he got out of the car, what an example to set.
I do appreciate that it's your job and that you're probably very proud of it, but burying your head in the sand doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with policing today and that politics plays a large part of it that problem. I too work for a civil service (albeit slightly less public) but would welcome some one coming into my branch and sorting out the wheat from the chaff.
Old 01-May-2006, 09:35
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by raykay748R
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb

You've got to be kidding me, then we're all making it up then!!
Boxhill, Alton station, Lords Derby, all meets where I've personally seen police pulling and doing people for the above. A friend was pulled on easter sunday in the ****ing rain on the M3 for a major 'public safety' infringement (small plate), the copper forced him into the hard shoulder, and then almost got runover by a passing truck as he got out of the car, what an example to set.
I do appreciate that it's your job and that you're probably very proud of it, but burying your head in the sand doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with policing today and that politics plays a large part of it that problem. I too work for a civil service (albeit slightly less public) but would welcome some one coming into my branch and sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

Which civil service do you work for?