Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 19-Nov-2011, 19:18
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Still doesn't seem to slow Brummy Dave down as my understanding is that he's using a plastic S2R tank on his Class B Monster with the pump hole plated up
I set the Class B Anglesey record with the heaviest tank on the list.... As I have said on more than one occasion, it may give a slight advantage, but weight and power aren't the whole story when it comes to going fast.
Old 19-Nov-2011, 20:20
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
but it helps.

Imagine how much faster you would have been on Phils or Kevs bikes? May only be tenths but every little counts...and Dave's is a very well put together, 53 hp and fairly light bike too....which he can ride
Old 19-Nov-2011, 20:59
Big Twin

.... But when most of us can make up 2secs a lap just from our frame of mind, those tenths don't make a massive difference.... Just my opinion, and mainly relative to DD.
Old 19-Nov-2011, 21:13
MotoGP God

2 secs off your lap records?!
Old 19-Nov-2011, 21:22
MotoGP God

@ Chaz - so these St etc forks - you reckon worth the investment to get a set and have rebuilt rather than have a std set rebuilt?

Trouble is, you need someone around who knows what happens when you change things and what affect they will have. I guess there must be some basics which most can learn?
Old 19-Nov-2011, 21:26
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
Yep mental attidude does help, my fat arse and 43bhp never did though. nor did my complete lack of fitness............ Role on next year
Old 19-Nov-2011, 21:37
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
2 secs off your lap records?!
No... Because obviously to set a record your attitude is already positive. My point is why would I win a race, then Phil, then Kev, then you, then Alan, then Hugh, then Dave..... Our bikes don't change, just our relative frame of mind.
Old 19-Nov-2011, 22:33
MotoGP God

of this there is no doubt; confidence and comfort on and with a bike is by far the most important thing
Old 20-Nov-2011, 00:49
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Mustn't forget one of the main requirements to a good handling bike is the Sprung to Unsprung weight ratio, especially when only having limited suspension mods.
After all the Sprung weight is what the suspension is forcing against and is used to damp out the suspension forces.
Heavy wheels with heavy tyres and built up momentum contain alot of force that when deflected by a bump trys to lift the weight above them, so if the wheels, discs. sprockets etc (unsprung Mass) are on the heavy side and the frame, tank, bodywork etc (Sprung Mass) are to light the bike may accelerate fast, stop quickly and change direction quickly but that doesn't mean it will handle well.
So if funds are limited you have to decide what direction to go in and spend it wisely.
Things that save weight and help handling should be top of the list, such as the weights of the discs (or disc), wheels, swingarm, mudguard, rear sprocket, etc
Take a Close look at Ghostys bike and you can see he not only had a light tank but also reduced the weight of several unsprung components .

Most of the weight saving on my 998R is to do with the unsprung components, Mag wheels, Narrow track discs, Mag swing arm, carbon front fender, Titanium bolts where sensible to do so, AP rear race caliper, Alloy rear sprocket. These components not only reduce overall weight and gyroscopic weight but they also reduce the forces that the suspension has to deal with so lighter springs can be used which in turn makes it easier to control with the damping

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook

Last edited by skidlids : 20-Nov-2011 at 00:56.
Old 20-Nov-2011, 09:39
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Take a Close look at Ghostys bike and you can see he not only had a light tank but also reduced the weight of several unsprung components .
Before or after you found it to be underweight?! ...because after, he added unspeung weight and it didn't seem to upset it too much.