Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jun-2005, 22:49
Bevel Head

Mood: Feel like a Duke...
PCIII + quickshifter

Gentlemen,

I am interested in your comments/suggestions on the following topic:

I am toying with the idea of installing a Power Commander III with the USB port also compatible with the installation of a quickshifter. Given that my bike is a factory prototype, I think I would need a dyno to create a custom mapping for the PC.

That said, I wanted to hear your pros/cons of this idea, suggestions on expected £££ and power improvement, and who could do this for me (e.g. JHP?).

Ciao, Mario
Old 12-Jun-2005, 23:21
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
What spec' is the motor? There are quite a few maps around now for the 'stretta motors.
Ultimately, the best solution is to have the bike run up on a dyno and JHP are probably the best equipped to do this for you. The USB has the capability of mapping individual cylinders for the very best results.
The quickshifter option is a pretty good one. The operation of the shifter is controlled by software. You set the rpm at which it starts to operate and also the cut duration.
No real cons really. The pros will ultimately depend on the engine spec but you should get the best out of the motor if it's done correctly with a smooth power delivery and a few bhp to boot.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 00:03
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Nelly I thought it was widely known that quickshifters eat gear boxs
Old 13-Jun-2005, 07:45
Bevel Head

To the best of my knowledge, Ducati prototype dept. told me that bike has a 998r bottom engine, 999r top engine and a 996r cooling system, with a dyno test showing 147hp. I do not know much more than this...

Interested in understandingm £££ needed for this and whether the PCIII + q.s. is a good "combo" solution, or if one yields a lot better results that the other.

Ciao
Old 13-Jun-2005, 10:21
500SD

Mood: Cool as **** !
Jon,i've had quickshifters on 3 bikes now,1 Ducati,& 2 R1's,& i've gotta say,i personally have had no problem with gearboxes of any kind !,and like a slipper,once you've had one,wouldn't be without one,they're an awesome piece of kit !,i've currentley got the latest translogicd gp sensor type fitted,but not plugged into the pc111,but it's the same type,as translogic make them for dynojet,they advised me to go with a stand alone unit,as to get the best out of each unit !,get one bought !

Old 13-Jun-2005, 10:40
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Never had any problem with q/shifters and gearboxes either.

Although I did ask John (Hackett) about the PCIII and Q/shifter set-up and he didn't seem too impressed, by all accounts he had said it was a real pig to set-up and rarely worked effectively.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 21:35
Bevel Head

I did not get any comments on the Power Commander option...

In addition, do you also have to install reverse shifting (1st up and all others down) with the quickshifter or are the two options unrelated?

JPM, what does JHP recommend instead as the most "rewarding" modifications/installations on a 998r, besides a complete tune-up from him?

Thanks!
Old 13-Jun-2005, 21:38
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Simon, JPM I don't think any of you two keep your bikes long enough