Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Jun-2005, 21:55

Help with buying a 748R

Hey guys,

I hope you can help out a soon-to-be Ducati owner who has a few questions. Well, as the subject title suggests I've finally settled on a 748R but here are some things I'm unsure of still:

1) What is the latest plate a 748R came on? Did production stop in 2002?

2) How much should i be looking to pay for a clean 52 plate with 4000 miles?

3) How much does servicing cost annually (including the belt change)?

4) Are there any particular Ducati dealers that you would either recommend or avoid like the plague (in the south east)?

I guess that's all really, if anyone has any advice at all I'd be pleased to hear it - so long as you don't recommend that I should get a 998 instead!! I simply cant justify £2k on insurance!

Thanks in advance!
Old 13-Jun-2005, 22:04
Dibble

I would buy from ...

Ducati London South in Croydon
Pro V Twins in Godstone
Snells in Alton
MotoRapido in Winchester
P&H in Crawley (thats where I bought my bike)

I wouldn't buy from

OnYerBike in Aylesbury
Pegasus in Reading

My suggestions above are based on my own experiences and those of my friends, they do not guarantee anything but are an answer to your question.

A clean 748R can cost anything up to £7.5k for a mint one, you find your bike and pays tour money.

There are a couple for sale in the market place here.

the 748R is an acquired taste and people that want them, really want them and thos that don't can't always understand the devotion to them when for similar money the new 749 is available with warranty ...

Happy shopping and welcome ...
Old 13-Jun-2005, 22:09
Ducati Corse

According to Falloon (Ducati Desmoquattro Superbikes) 2002 was the last year of production. It should have Ohlins front and rear, closed 996R type fairing and numbered plaque.

As to price it's a buyers market so hard to say - probably around £7K from a dealer.

Needs belts every year/6000 miles so about £500 a service.

As to dealers there aren't any that are universally slated in the southeast.

The thing to be aware of is that the supersport regs for which the R was built are pretty strict so this is a very pure racer for the road. What lets it down is the cylinder heads weren't machined to supersport spec which makes the R a finiky sort to get set up right - they often have fueling problems because the airbox/injectors/CPU are ready to race and the cylinder heads aren't The slipper clutch can eat plates too.

It is one of the best developed engines Ducati ever made although now superceded by the 749R in the 'special' stakes.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 22:42
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
I love mine even though it has been off the road for 12 months. Mine's a Sep 2001 model Keller.

Drop me a line if there's owt particular you would like to ask.

Miles and miles of smiles on mine....almost 23k miles on her now and loved every mile of 'em.

Yes the R is fickle at low revs so keep it above 10k and your smiles will be bigger than this

Mine's a 772R now after the rebuild. Animal is not the word.....Love it...

Where's the nearest Dyno..must get it checked out.

Regards, Guy
Old 13-Jun-2005, 23:50

Thanks guys,

At least i know what i'm gonna be doing this weekend now! Pro V Twins have a couple of 748Rs on their website that seem to be worth checking out.

I'll let you know how i get on.
Unfortunately it's only monday today...........

Old 14-Jun-2005, 00:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Lily on this board has a nice 2002 748R for sale and its in Ducati Coventry at the moment.

Might be worth a look.
Old 14-Jun-2005, 07:21
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
There is one in Italia in lincoln. Under £7k

Chris.
Old 14-Jun-2005, 08:50

Mood: :)
Hope this helps...

Hi Keller.

After alot of research and looking on sites such as ebay, Bike trader etc.... I was fortunate to find an absolute mint as new Ducati 748R in Red on a 53 Plate, Build Number 856.
The bike came with the Paddock stand, cover and Termi cans as well as a Meta Security system and an Optimate charger with a simple "plug in feature" so there was no need to remove the fairing. At the time of purchase the bike was showing 1700 miles. It included a full service service history including a premature belt change by the owner a the bike was rarely used. I was also told that my bike was one of the last 2 to be officially imported into the UK by Ducati. This dream bike cost me £8500....from Pegasus Motorcyles in Reading they also supplied the bike from new and had completed all the services. Just be aware that not all "R" Models come with the termi cans. I have the new style fairing which I believe changed around 01 just another consideration. I was also slightly cautious about buying the 748R as many forums talk about fuel problems and the engine cutting out at low revs. Well no problems with my baby. What i did fit however was a side stand by-pass switch that enables the bike to be started whilst on the stand, it also cuts out the engine when a gear is selected. I got a proffesional kit from ebay that took about 4 minutes to fit all for £24. "Yes you can easily dis-connect the cable but is it worth it" Have a look at ebay there was 2 on there yesterday. And one last feature that i added to my bike was off course a set of frame plugs, not any sort thou check out these lovely corse ones. The guy that makes these is a top chap who also supplied a set to the Sultan of Oman.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW
Well hope you find a good one, theres a yellow one on ebay.
Let us know how you get on!!!!!
Old 14-Jun-2005, 08:54
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
As BDG has mentioned I have one for sale at a very good price.

If you are interested then drop me an email or U2u
Old 14-Jun-2005, 10:00
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
keller
Although ProTwins might have one on their web site I would suggest that you ring them b4 going down there as their site is not always up to date.

Regards