Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jul-2006, 20:19
Mille

Mood: Don't trust women!
748 Questions...

Rite...

Well I have been offered a 1997 748 with 22,000 mile on the clocks (35,000 km actually showing, must be import) for my Rizla GSXR 600...

Now it is a bike I want but I have a few quetions as the seller doesn't know too much about it...

Basically it comes with twin seat unit but there is a carbon fibre single seat unit on the bike at present. I'm not sure what model it is either (SP, Bip etc), frame prefix: ZDM7485400... Under that there is DGM539150M? Does that mean anything to anyone?

Also what are common faults of these bike as I think it sounds a little loud from the engine... I have a 750SS previously and the 748 sounds ALOT louder from the engine then the 750 ever did. Like a banging sound... Think thats normal... It does have termi's on it also.

And finally it cut out a few times after starting, reves didn't reduce then stall, it just stopped dead, but seemed ok after warm up... Is this normal?

I know alot of questions but I need to be sure bout this thing as you can imagine...

Any help would be great!
Old 09-Jul-2006, 21:26
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
I'd steer well clear of that if i were you !!! no history and it's not running right unless the owner can give you the full service history i wouldn't touch with a barge pole.!!

It sounds like a bip with a single seat conversion easy enough to tell if you can find the lugs for the pillion pegs on the subframe not so easy if the subframe has been changed as well.
contact Ducati UK they may be able to trace the frame/engine numbers it's worth a try

Last edited by Nigel C : 09-Jul-2006 at 21:30.
Old 09-Jul-2006, 21:31
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard
Rite...

And finally it cut out a few times after starting, reves didn't reduce then stall, it just stopped dead, but seemed ok after warm up... Is this normal?

This is not right with any bike, or car, so why should it be right just because it's a Ducati.

Sorry, don't want to be seen to be having a go, but, you should not expect anything this major from any bike and ducati are no different.

As said before, sounds like a basket case ... plenty out there, keep looking for one that has been treasured by an enthusiast.
Old 09-Jul-2006, 22:53
Mille

Any advice is good advice so don't worry about offence mate, it's constructive critisisum... I was having second thoughts anyway.

I have built a 600ss (sold to SkidLids) form the ground up and have owned / built many different machines in the past and I found different 'quirks' with different manufactors, I just wanted to give the bike the bennefit of the dought first...

But as luck would have it, I've been offered another 748s, Hogson rep... Just waiting for pics and details to be mailed, so finger crossed for that...

So things to look out for would be my next question...
Old 16-Jul-2006, 03:23
Mille
Bikes: 996 sps foggy, 2001 r6, 1098S, s1000rr, Panigale 1199S

Mood: on the back wheel !!
Wink

Diehard
did this bike have white 3 spoke wheels, xerox painted on the side panels, and a set of road legal termi's, along with a damaged right hand side grip ?
If so I have some interesting news for you !

Last edited by DEMON : 16-Jul-2006 at 14:34.
Old 16-Jul-2006, 14:51
Mille

Yep... That's it... Sent you a PM mate.