Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 21-Jul-2004, 17:15
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Running costs can vary not just due to the bike. In some "one make" type classes the bits might be cheap but if you end up having a load of crashes due to the elbows out nature of the racing then that cheap class soon becomes not so cheap.

This debate has thrown up some useful stuff. I have often heard mates talking about going racing and consulting the local club race sage, NOT me I hasten to add, only to have the wind taken right out of their sails when the sage points out some oversight in their choice of class.

One make type stuff can be cheap and teach you ace race craft but can be very competitive.

Some less restrictive bike classes can involve more outlay initially but the racing is a little less frenetic.

To chuck another question into the ring does anyone know of a company that hires out race bikes for racing rather than track days??

Ray
Old 21-Jul-2004, 17:22
Big Twin

Mood: http://www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray
Running costs can vary not just due to the bike. In some "one make" type classes the bits might be cheap but if you end up having a load of crashes due to the elbows out nature of the racing then that cheap class soon becomes not so cheap.

This debate has thrown up some useful stuff. I have often heard mates talking about going racing and consulting the local club race sage, NOT me I hasten to add, only to have the wind taken right out of their sails when the sage points out some oversight in their choice of class.

One make type stuff can be cheap and teach you ace race craft but can be very competitive.

Some less restrictive bike classes can involve more outlay initially but the racing is a little less frenetic.

To chuck another question into the ring does anyone know of a company that hires out race bikes for racing rather than track days??

Ray

i cant think what the company name was that hires them out for racing......The Bemsee site might have a link page with it on!!

but there is someone that does it...
Old 21-Jul-2004, 17:23
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by tp-996
Right - I'll definitely be wanting a cheaper form of racing than that.!

Maybe pushbikes ....

Steel Framed Championship, get a Honda CBR600FS/T/V/W for between £1500 and £2500 depending on level of tune and overall package.
More than enough info about to fill a decent sized book and you should always be within about 10bhp of the top bikes.
Also good enough for a 115mph lap or the TT circuit in the hands of my mate Adrian
Old 21-Jul-2004, 17:24
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
The "one make" classes definitely have some significant advantages, as many have already pointed out. The one that I would personally lean towards is the Suzuki SV650 class. These are "proper" bikes at least being twins. I think the class is called mini-twins. Wouldn't mind having a go at that. Going by some reports there are some proper quick people racing in that class.
Old 21-Jul-2004, 17:27
Big Twin

Mood: http://www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Quote:
Originally posted by tp-996
Right - I'll definitely be wanting a cheaper form of racing than that.!

Maybe pushbikes ....

Steel Framed Championship, get a Honda CBR600FS/T/V/W for between £1500 and £2500 depending on level of tune and overall package.
More than enough info about to fill a decent sized book and you should always be within about 10bhp of the top bikes.
Also good enough for a 115mph lap or the TT circuit in the hands of my mate Adrian

the steel Framed class with derby phoenix is a great class to enter..............good racing but cheap racing...
Old 21-Jul-2004, 18:05
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
To put the TZ250 thing in perspective, mine cost me £2000, it is a '92D so pretty old and runs on avgas(hard to get but lots cheaper then race fuel at £1.10 litre) and proper race oil at £16 litre. It cost us about £1000 to rebuild the motor for this season but that did include a pair of new barrels which you wouldn't normally need. Tyres and other stuff cause you may crash is just normal running stuff. JohnnyB is going hard but towards the back of the grid since we are running a normally aspirated bike against loads of ram air bikes which have about 10bhp more than us(85-90 against our 75-80). The series we have chosen to run in-New Era Superclubs-is with the MRO the top 250 class in the Uk so most of the guys running are either ex British Championship runners or using ex championship bikes. We would do a lot better in normal club racing but have chosen to ride in the series we ride in. The series most suited to my bike is the Forgotten Racing Clubs Pre '95 GP250 class, I timed the winner of that series at Cadwell and he was lapping in the same times as JohnnyB, using a similar bike. Things that JohnnyB and I have got to discuss for next year if we decide to continue.

John

[Edited on 21-7-2004 by Monty]
Old 21-Jul-2004, 18:45
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Yes agree with the one class competitive comments, especially the CB5's, they do have a reputation around the paddock. I loved it the other day at Snet watching my CB5 mates going around and a spectator next to me said to his mate 'oh here come the CB500's, the best racing of the day, watch this lot, they're nutters' - LOL, but if you're going to race, then why not race!!! It's proper racing with people around you trading places at every corner, you get him at one corner and he gets you back at the next. From my experience of the TZ's and from watching other races like SOT and 600's, the field is more strung out - I'm at the back of the TZ field (AT THE MOMENT MONTY) and sometimes it's like a trackday as you're not racing with anyone, just in an 8 lap trackday session with a standing start and a number on your bike, point is you need to be mixing it to be racing properly and to actually learn anything and improve. People race because they're competitive, so why join a less competitve 'race' if you have a choice, although the decision is obviously far more complex than that? Is there any correlation between one make racing and more accidents, I've no idea...

A number of my CB5 mates are going into SV's next year, it feels like a natural next step progression - it's really taken off - they look like 'normal' race bikes and the front runners would hold their own in the 600 class - it's mightily competitive, although more expensive than CB's. It's with Bemsee at loads of good circuits....must be one of the best options I reckon.

Ray - as regards hiring a bike, Paul Russo who does our No Limits Trackday hire bikes will hire out his race prepped R6's for racing - there are certain conditions obviously but he takes each situation on its own merits. I've just spoken with him, so if anyone is interested, give him a call on 07712 815827.

WeeJohnyB
PS MONTY - maybe a better option would have been for me to buy your TZ off you for £2k and for you to be team technician - maybe that way I'd feel more like thrashing the little beastie without fear of binning someone elses bike
Old 21-Jul-2004, 19:04
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Fully agree with WJB that the one make classes have much tighter fields as opposed to strung out ones like SOT and other. That was one of the main reason I recommended to TP-996 to test the water in this class. A more strung out field may not give that corner by corner fight experience, but it also produces less crashes.
Old 22-Jul-2004, 18:27
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by Monty
To put the TZ250 thing in perspective, mine cost me £2000...

Aye indeed, the £20k TZ I mentioned was an extreme example. It'll be interesting to see how far up the field you can get with the 12yr old bike though. I've a couple of pals who've had frustrating experiences with older TZ's up against newer ones with Bemsee, one of whom is now up with the front-runners on a late-90s bike. Are you doing all the Supercup rounds? (...looks like remaining ones are 4 Sept at Brands and 16 Oct at Donington).

Andy

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit