Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Sep-2003, 18:24
Big Twin

Would you ride with them on the road? Are you saying that 900 quid couldnt be better spent elsewhere?

[Edited on 30-9-2003 by DJTera]
Old 01-Oct-2003, 00:05
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Tim

If you are interested in the BST wheels give Nelly a call, he might have some info on them as he is a registered outlet for em if not mistaken?

Saw some he fitted to an R1 and wet my knickers, very nice in the flesh.
Old 01-Oct-2003, 00:47
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I\'ll contact him but......

....its a hell of a lot of money for wheels!!!

I do want some lightweight wheels and would be happy with magnesium marchesinis, but wanted to see what else is out there. Which is why I was looking at the 10 spoke wheels.

Spending around £1K is a lot for wheels, but I can justify this (sort of) as I know that unless I smash them up, I'll get 75% of my money back.

But paying £2K+ seems a little extreme - I'll have to rob a few more banks!!!

I need to post up on a few racing sites to see if there are any end of season bargains going!!!

Whele - what do the carbon Dymags cost?

Tim
Old 01-Oct-2003, 11:22
Big Twin

When I was looking for wheels the cheapest I found the Dymags for was 2000! They don't look that nice either, when you're paying trackbike money for wheels they should look good too
Old 02-Oct-2003, 10:37
Mille

Mood: Meditating
DJ Wrote "Would you ride with them on the road? Are you saying that 900 quid couldnt be better spent elsewhere?"

Of course I wouldnt ride them on the road, its not that they wouldnt survive it would just be a complete waste.

What would be the piont apart from the pose value?

If you are talking about wheels for road use then IMO there is no point buy Mags - just stick with the standard wheels.

If you think you ride fast enough to need mag wheels on the road then you are either gonna have no licence next month, or be dead.
Old 02-Oct-2003, 10:45
Big Twin

I'm not talking about JUST for road use, but I'm sure Tim hasn't just spent big $$$ on a just a trackbike!

And I'm sure very few people ride fast enough to NEED mag or carbon wheels on the track or on the road, they just transform the feel of the bike, you dont need to be doing silly MPH to feel the difference
Old 02-Oct-2003, 19:27
Mille

Mood: Meditating
Actually in my experience that is the only time you really feel the difference.

its not really until a significant centrifugal force is developed that the reduced weght of carbon or magnesium rims can be said to be a benifit in terms of better handling (less upsprung weight) or better turning in of the bike.

But, I stand by my statement, IMO you'll probably not spend money on a better performance part that makes a bigger gain £ for £ (once above 80mph).

At the end of the day, a 5mph faster corner speed on the track gives far quicker lap time than 10bhp in the engine department. Light weight wheels will give faster turning which equates to more ground clearance and less lean angle because the bike goes from upright to full lean quicker. This means that you can corner faster for the same lean angle and ground clearance when compared to the same bike with the heavier wheels.

not sure how well I explained that, but I know what I mean.
Old 02-Oct-2003, 20:53
Big Twin

I know what you mean too
I really notice the difference above 60-70, but ask yourself, what is stopping most of us from carrying say 5mph more through a corner, the rider or the bike?
IMO that 900 quid spent on the ESS or CSS for example is likely to drop your laptimes more than the difference between carbon and forged mag wheels - they are good enough for Ruben and Neil n'est pas?
Old 02-Oct-2003, 23:55
Mille

Mood: Rossi-tastico!
I went from 3 spoke brembo's to 10 spoke forged mag marchi's and could tell the diff. straight away.
I ride on road.....bike steers better, turns in quicker, I dont have to fight to get the bike to drop into a corner, I dont have that gyroscopic sensation when steering...it accelerates better...blah, blah, blah.
My opinion is that even at low speeds these 10 spokes are better than 3 spoke brembos....
Plus they look so good in matt black....
Old 03-Oct-2003, 10:57
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i'm looking for my bst's to transform both my road riding and track riding. if we are honest a hell of a lot of our road riding is done at 70+ and for me (as most of us i guess) i choose twisty road for my sunday runs. i think the benefit you gain depends on your ability. no doubt plenty of you out there would be able to ride my bike without lighter wheels a hell of a lot quiker than i could after i get them but i am hoping they will improve MY riding for the ability I have. that said i do believe there is no point in having 'all the gear and no idea' hence css level 3 looming for me in a week or so. could be interesting learning new techniques while also getting used to new wheeels!