Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Aug-2005, 22:06
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
electrical again C/W rumbling

Could be alternator nut, but just been out on the 916 all was fine untill i noticed after about 30 miles when accelerating and putting the motor under load, i could hear / feel a rumble and grating noise only then accelerating, as soon as i back off the throttle its fine, almost like a pinking sound i guess but far more metallic. also feels a bit like its missing low down too occasionaly
also noticed the rev counters up to its old tricks of sticking at around 3000 rpm then jumping, last time it did this it was the fried alternator / gene / master fuse which had turned into a blob of plastic.
seems to be ok for some of the time then not for some of the time.
does it sound like the start of the flywheel making a bid for freedom? chance it getting it back home tommorow??
if it is the not, should it fall off will it do anything major or just conk out ?

i just checked to see that nothing was resonating at a certain frequency. as that is what it feels like i guess
Old 27-Aug-2005, 22:08
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Dude, there's no way I'd ride it making that combination of noises and feeling that much change of character in the bike.

Get it looked at before you're buying an engine and gearbox or something!
Old 28-Aug-2005, 13:26
500SD

It actually made it back fine and the noise wasnt heard again. could be conindicence with carrying a pillion perhaps ? but the clutch is goosed and noisy and rattly below 3000 rpm than silent after. i suspect the basket is well worn out and fit for the bin.
as for the noise, well apart from the odd fueling blip below 3k causing the odd hickup in town its been fine. its back home now so will get it investigated before i use it again.
Cheers
Old 28-Aug-2005, 14:11
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Does sound like the alternator i'm afraid. I'd get it checked out as if it bounces around for long enough, it not only buggas the rotor and windings, it can do the splines on the crank. Not good.
Old 28-Aug-2005, 14:12
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by nelly
Does sound like the alternator i'm afraid. I'd get it checked out as if it bounces around for long enough, it not only buggas the rotor and windings, it can do the splines on the crank. Not good.

or cheap ..... as i discovered .....
Old 28-Aug-2005, 14:15
500SD

Thanks, i will get it checked out. i wonder if it cooling overnight has made it grip and not move about on the ride home, it was more the revcounter sticking at around 3k and the temp guage either low or high which seemed like a bad earth issue.
It has recently had a new gene, rectifier, loom section and battery which is why i thought of the nut and perhaps it trying to make a bid for freedom
Thanks and will keep you posting with the problem once found
Old 28-Aug-2005, 14:53
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
It's not conclusive, but you can get a good idea if it's come loose by looking through the timing window at the edge of the flywheel and then thumb the starter. You can sometimes see it wobbling as the engine turns over.