Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Feb-2006, 12:59
500SD

What replacement battery..? (heating system analogy)

Hi guys

Anyone found a direct replacement battery for the 888 which is better/more durable than the original?
I'd prefer not to have to make up new clamps/brackets if possible, so a similar sized one would be good.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-Feb-2006, 13:20
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
I have the hawker Oddesy 680 gel. Great battery, but big heavy and slightly larger than standard. That said, it fits into the standard plastic tray with a little teak on the laoer lip.

A lot of people go for the smaller Yuasa YTXJ7BS battery. It's sealed and maint. free but I really wanted something that I could trust if I was away for a week or two on a continental tour. The latest mod seems to be this little fella in a KTM tray.
Old 11-Feb-2006, 13:30
Ducati Meccanica

Or the tiny Yuasa YTZ7S (4lbs) with 900+ amps of in-rush current.

Make sure all your connections are really clean. Toothbrush size ss, brass or copper brush till surfaces are shiny.
Old 11-Feb-2006, 13:35
Ducati Meccanica

Here are the details, that someone supplied on the 851 board for the KTM option....

"All measurements are inside the KTM battery holder:

Height - 105mm
Width - 114mm
Depth - 61mm

I mounted the box using one of the KTM holes and I drilled one new hole. I used a 6mm Pro-Bolt fairing bolt and washer (I'm a Pro-Bolt dealer), a 6mm plastic spacer and the OEM Ducati rubber bushing from the OEM battery holder. I moved the starter relay and mounted it to the engine on the bottom OEM battery holde post. I attahced the "big fuse" with to zip ties to the radiator brace; I put a piece of foam between thee fuse and the brace.

The KTM part numbers are as follows: KTM battery holder #58111076000 $4.15; Rubber straps to hold battery in place (you'll need 2) #50303018000 $4.54. Call Chip Munn of Munn Racing in Waco, TX, they are my KTM dealer (even though I live in VA). The parts are dirt cheap, give it a try!

My YTZ7S battery will arrive in 2/3 weeks. I may add a brace to the bottom battery mount after I install the battery and see how stable the whole thing is."
Old 11-Feb-2006, 15:20
Mille

Mood: I AM looking forward to racing..
Here are the details, that someone supplied on the 851 board for the KTM option....

"All measurements are inside the KTM battery holder:

Height - 105mm
Width - 114mm
Depth - 61mm

I mounted the box using one of the KTM holes and I drilled one new hole. I used a 6mm Pro-Bolt fairing bolt and washer (I'm a Pro-Bolt dealer), a 6mm plastic spacer and the OEM Ducati rubber bushing from the OEM battery holder. I moved the starter relay and mounted it to the engine on the bottom OEM battery holde post. I attahced the "big fuse" with to zip ties to the radiator brace; I put a piece of foam between thee fuse and the brace.

The KTM part numbers are as follows: KTM battery holder #58111076000 $4.15; Rubber straps to hold battery in place (you'll need 2) #50303018000 $4.54. Call Chip Munn of Munn Racing in Waco, TX, they are my KTM dealer (even though I live in VA). The parts are dirt cheap, give it a try!

My YTZ7S battery will arrive in 2/3 weeks. I may add a brace to the bottom battery mount after I install the battery and see how stable the whole thing is."

Attachment: DSC00329.JPG (142.35kb)
This file has been downloaded 10 times

...is this man 'Mr detail' or what eh? Terrifying...
Old 11-Feb-2006, 19:08
500SD

Rob

I'm leaning towards the Odyssey 680 after having read the specs. It's expensive (can't find it for less than £80) but it sounds the business. It's colour matched too!

Two things though:
1) How did you modify the support tray to allow for its extra height/width? Is it just a case of removing the lower lip?
2) By all accounts it needs a special charger, since conventional chargers won't know it's fully charged. Had any problems with this?

Cheers
Old 11-Feb-2006, 22:30
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Scuse my ignorance, but is the ktm option about saving weight?

Does the smaller battery still turn the motor o.k.?

Does it cost more than a standard battery?

This may be of interest to others too.

( Weight reduction freaks )

Phil
Old 12-Feb-2006, 11:55
Ducati Meccanica

There are a pile of posts about the smaller battery on the 851 board. Yep, they say it's 100% reliable.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 14:53
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob B
There are a pile of posts about the smaller battery on the 851 board. Yep, they say it's 100% reliable.

Thanks Rob, Ill have a look....should have thought of the search option...
Old 12-Feb-2006, 16:22
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Think of your electrical system using a hydraulic analogy. Consider the battery is a six foot diameter one foot deep wading pool full of water. At the bottom of the pool is an three inch diameter drain pipe capped-off with a valve. Pumped water enters the top through a one inch diameter pipe.

Using this analogy,

Discharge current is the flow rate of water out of the pool
Charging current is the flow rate of water into the pool
Battery capacity is the volume of water in the pool.
Battery voltage is the water pressure at the bottom of the pool

Operating Condition: Storage

The drain valve is shut but the pool leaks a little (current). Every so often you put some more water in (trickle charging) the pool to make-up any water level (voltage). Over time the pool leaks more and more.

Operating Condition: Startup

Water flows (discharge current) rapidly out the open drain until simultaneously its valve is quickly shut and the pumped water (charging current) flows into the pool. During this time the pool has lost a gallon or two of water and the water level (voltage) drops a little.

Operating Condition: Normal Running

Water enters the pool faster than the water flows out the drain. After a while, the pool water level (voltage) rises and eventually overflows (fully charged battery).

OK, so what happens in this analogy if you use a smaller battery?

Instead of a six foot diameter one foot deep wading pool, suppose you have a three foot diameter one foot deep washtub.

Operating Condition: Storage

The washtub leaks at the same rate, so you put in some more water. Since the washtub is smaller the water level (voltage) drops faster so you have to full (trickle charge) it back up more often and for longer periods of time.

Operating Condition: Startup

Again, water flows rapidly out the open drain. But now the water level (voltage) has dropped much lower due to the smaller amount of water held by the washtub. The volume of water lost from the pool and the washtub is about the same.

Operating Condition: Normal Running

Again, water enters faster than the water drains, eventually overflowing the washtub, taking the same amount of time as before.

The principal advantage of using a larger battery is to be able to restart repeatedly. If you regularly don't ride long enough to recharge fully between restarts, stay with a larger capacity battery. Deep discharges will reduce battery life. A lower amp-hour battery will need to be trickle-charged more often.