Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 03-Dec-2012, 16:33

I will utilise the 4 wheels apart from going to the track, example when the weather is shite going to work, shopping bla bla, so it will get used. I can sleep in an estate car, seats folded and sleeping bag etc. a well looked after 2nd hand estate will be cheaper overall including running costs than an equivalent van. I can try this for a couple of years until such time I may have enough money to go all out for a van. I think this is the way to go at the moment
Old 03-Dec-2012, 18:44
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
a few poeople I've seen use Voyager or old Espace, just need to remove the screen/top fairing but also means you have to take everything out to sleep and also are always 'in fumes'

thins is none of the reasons I opted for a trailer; gazebo up, bike out, kit to one side, sleeping bag on camp bed...done
Old 03-Dec-2012, 19:14
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
I love my van with all of my heart, I wouldn't swap it for anything.

buy a VW and keep it forever. (had mine for 17½ years now) I use it for everything that I can't do on a bike.
Old 03-Dec-2012, 19:42
Bevel Head
Bikes: ducati 620ss racer,aprilia rsvr mille,husqavarna 125 crosser

Mood: easy going,love to laugh,fairly competetive
The best answer i have seen to this problem has been the little caravan with a ramp built into the back,carries the bike,then sleep and brew up in it,not sure who the guy is but you have all seen him at our meetings i bet,
you could pick up a suitable caravan for £500 and the ramp thing would be fairly easy to fix up.
when not being used it dont cost a penny
Simples -)
Old 03-Dec-2012, 20:06
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by batesy2
The best answer i have seen to this problem has been the little caravan with a ramp built into the back,carries the bike,then sleep and brew up in it,not sure who the guy is but you have all seen him at our meetings i bet,
you could pick up a suitable caravan for £500 and the ramp thing would be fairly easy to fix up.
when not being used it dont cost a penny
Simples -)

Scooter916 was doing this ten years ago, he got a caravan with a central rear window and and cut out the section bellow. then added some bits to allow him to bolt that section in and out when he wanted to.
Not quites as big as the converted coach he and Adam had thankfully they didn't have that as their race transport when they were racing in DD

All a bit different from the setup he has had lately for his British Supersport team

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 03-Dec-2012, 20:52
Bevel Head
Bikes: Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring, Honda CBR1100XX Superblackbird (at least it's a red one!)

Mood: Happy new owner of a Mutley !
I swapped my car for a van a few years ago when I started doing trackdays and trips to the Nurburgring with a couple of mates, so when I started racing this year there was no decision to make. I must admit, I like having the space and convenience of my van, and wouldn't want to do it any other way, but 'each to his own'.
Old 03-Dec-2012, 23:35
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Chris Clarke has said caravan conversion, very neat job done by his old fella and if I had somewhere to store it and could cope with the ridicule of dragging one it seems good towing option
Old 04-Dec-2012, 04:41
Mille
Bikes: 900ss 600ss xr400

most of last year i used my citroen dispatch work van (bought for £700 and sold for £800 4years later after doing a "john cleese" and battering sh*te out of it) and single bike trailer 2 big sticks and a bit of old lorry tarp- was just big enough to sleep ok and cost f**k all to run 38mpg and about £200 maintainance in all time i had it- bit slow but have always had bikes for going fast and always found vans more useful than cars-
now living luxury with vw lt35 and have converted my trailer to small box
Old 06-Dec-2012, 08:54
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
vw transporter ..

drives like a car and does close to 40 mpg (if your careful)
fits the bike all my gear and a matress in
i do about 20000 miles a year in mine and it's reliable as the day is long (currently on 190000 miles)

not just there for race days .. track days .. collecting and selling various bike parts .. camping .. plus everything else i carry around.

mines a combi .. so it's got 5 seats too

am considering getting a decent pop up awning but wouldn't swap the van for the world
Old 06-Dec-2012, 20:33
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 848 and 583 dd race bike

I'm selling my Vw T5. awesome van 178bhp can either tow bike or put bike in back with all spares and can even sleep next to it with my bed setup built in... pm for more details if interested