Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-May-2004, 22:48
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Huge thanks for the offer Ian. Might take you up on that if I can get hold of the guy. Smells a bit fishy as I've been calling all weekend and his mobile's off. Finally got through to the landline (a payphone) but apparantly the guy (Danny) was too hungover on both days to get to the phone. Not an auspicious start to buying a bike......

I'm not sure, but I think the bike's in Guildford. If you're in Worthing we're both a similar distance away, but I might need a devil's advocate. I'll u2u if I manage to get hold of the geezer.

Cheers one and all.

Ali

ps: would it be sacrilage to paint an FE red???
Old 09-May-2004, 23:05
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hi Ali,

Good luck in the hunt mate, I spotted a 93 SL for you here (sadly in Wales !!!)

http://www.justbikers.com/

18K Miles, £2600 OVNO
Old 10-May-2004, 08:18
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
ps: would it be sacrilage to paint an FE red???

No!

Normally you'd want to keep a final/limited edition original to maintain its value, but it seems like FE's are cheaper than the earlier SLs (£2,500-3,000 for 92/93 versus <£3,000 for 98/99).

Remember that you'll have to pull the whole bike apart to paint the frame though....
Old 10-May-2004, 12:29
Ducati Meccanica

So do we reckon it'd be a better buy to get hold of an FE and get dream machine to run up superlight copy paint (possibly on a pattern fairing)?? That way I'd have the latest mechanicals with paintwork that could be dropped on-track without ruining my year. Could it be done for under £3.5k???

On the other hand it wouldn't be a superlight..... and lord knows I want a superlight!

Cheers,

Ali
Old 10-May-2004, 18:14
Big Twin

On the other hand it wouldn\'t be a superlight.....

Others on the board will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the FE and the SL were the same bike apart from the paint scheme.

I recall magazine reviews criticizing it because it was essentially an SL rather than adding the bits that a "final edition" should justify. Having said that, I think it came with spare carbon cans, stands and a special cover.

If you can get a couple of hundred off one of the FE's advertised in bike trader, you will have £700 to get it painted however you want (£700 for painted pattern fairing is possible but would be tight).

Another thing to bear in mind is what mods you will want to do to it. High-comp pistons, big bore, loud pipes, vented clutch cover, etc. are all expensive but fairly common mods that it's nice to have on the bike that you buy (ask iconic frank about his mods - he's done everything!)
Old 10-May-2004, 19:54
Ducati Meccanica

You're bang on the mark there. A bit more web trawling turned up the full specs. They're the same as a 99 superlight with a few minor additions thrown in. I had a chat with some folk that do engine tweaks and they all suggested I go for the FE. I'm especially keen on the alloy swingarm. I have no idea why, as it looks the same as the steel one, I just like it.....

Since when did duke owners need to be rational

Iconic: Thanks for tracking down the welsh option. I'm off up to Darlington on saturday to check out one of the autotrader FEs but if that falls through I'll be on to the superlights. Is there a list of all your mods anywhere on the site??

Chicken: I hope you won't be too offended if I rip her clothes off and re-clad her in red! As I said, re-living my youth and all that.... At least you'll know where to come for spare silver bodywork!

Thanks all,

Ali

ps: Anyone that far north is welcome to come along (Sat. 1pm) and laugh at me trying to look knowledgeable. Devil's advocates especially welcome.

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by ali]
Old 10-May-2004, 21:49
Big Twin

What was the original question? Oh yeah, what to look out for.

from my experience with SL No 259 (if I recall correctly)
check bottom of cylinder for oil leakage, very slight weeping was not uncommon.
check both exhaust hangars, I personally got through about 4 PAIRS. They tended to crack on the upper bent "elbow"
Not easy to check, but the fuel guage was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, sometimes didn't come on even if I was running on fumes.
From other threads, check the upper rear frame beneath the seat unit for cracks.
If it was one of the first 500, check it had the cush mount bolts replaced.
Icing carbs was a problem for me, but it was winter ridden.
Apart from that, I had a crackin time on mine.
good luck and have fun.
And contrary to one of the punters who came to look at mine for sale - No number 1 on seat unit, white frame (not gold) polished two piece wheel rims were all standard.
Old 10-May-2004, 23:36
WSB Hero

Ali,

Nice website....Chi u should check out the Black 900ss with white frame...Nice.

Darlington is only 12 miles or so away from me (playground of the halo'd CROFT !!!)

If you really need any help my friend I'll try and come over. The only slight problem is that I will be in between my nightshifts but that should not really be a problem.

As far as my bike goes most of the work has really been making her good after some previous mechanical negliect...on y own experience's and some of the boards, here are another few things to look out for....

Frame cracks...headstock and rear section.
Wheel bearings...Front and Rear.
Weak battery / charging system.
Swing arm...pivot point wear - all three.
Fork and Damper oil leaks.
Rips in seat bases.
Excessive clutch slip
Oil consumption

and all the above !!!

Good Luck - Frank

ps.... there isnt a full list of all my mods in one thread...use the 'Search' and look for all my posts in the 'SS' forum (loads - sorry!)

But there is a man in the DSC who has the most modified 900ss in the universe!!!
Still waiting for a report

pps - I cant help but wonder how the different types / year models of our Carb'ed 900SS/SL/FE all ride compared to one another ????? are the SL/FE much better than the SS????
Old 11-May-2004, 00:07
WSB Hero

Just had a look on Autotrader and was getting worried I couldnt find the one in Darlington but the mileage away from me was wrong but, I recognised the area code.

Its a beauty in the Silver I think and if the mileage is right it looks to be priced very well.

I had a look at some of the superlight as well and some look down-right ropey.
There is a damage repairable for £1995 !!! Wayy over the odds in my book. Keep on looking in autotrader regularly as I'm led to believe its update much more regularly than the magazines.
Old 11-May-2004, 13:40
Big Twin

Frank - who is this mysterious character that has a more exreme SS than you??