Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 30-Oct-2006, 20:53
Mille

Mood: Bits fitted service done, Nice
Has anyone got one of these?

Has anybody bought one of these of ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Delux-H-Duty-M...3300 43306891

Are they any good, would you recommend them, the price seems good but as with most thing you usually get what you pay for.

Is rivetting a chain a difficult job, does it have to be perfect or do you run the risk of the link failing and the mayhem that could follow or would you recommend getting one fitted by your usual mechanic.
Old 30-Oct-2006, 21:59
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
I've got something similar but without the nice case (which I think is worth having as I keep losing the small bits).

It's not difficult to "rivet" a chain as they usually come with a clip to go around the joining link.

Look for the link with the clip on the existing chain (if it doesn't have one, you will have to do a bit of filing), remove it and temporarily attach the new chain to it and the pull it around the rear sprocket by rotating the wheel (obviously you will have the rear wheel on a stand!)

When you have looped the new chain through, check to make sure that you have enough adjustment for when it stretches out over time (otherwise you will be removing links at a later point).

To attach the clip, use the tool to hold the plate in place, push the clip part way over by hand then use a hammer and screwdriver/blunt chisel to push it in the rest of the way.

btw, that looks an okay price - not a super bargain but not bad considering you pay £40 for a similar one from M&P that comes in a cardboard box.
Old 30-Oct-2006, 23:05
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I have used and broken one of those before, thinking it would be as strong as my splitter, silly mistake, the one I use is about twice the price and a lot stronger.
i can't recall the make (has a pic of a whale on it) but the guy who has a chain stand at Kempton Autojumble sells them and if my information is correct it should be Kempton this Saturday

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 30-Oct-2006, 23:10
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Sounds like a 'Whale' one Kev, thats what I've got.

Andy

ps Good to see you at the DD on Sat, well done for the award.
Old 30-Oct-2006, 23:50
Big Twin

fair point Kev but you do probably get through more chains than your average biker!

I know what you meant about breaking them but I could see the body flexing slightly so I did some more filing before it had the chance to break.
Old 31-Oct-2006, 01:06
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken
fair point Kev but you do probably get through more chains than your average biker!

Thats probaby true, I have been using the Whale tool for riviting since about 1991 and for splitting chains I use a DD spliter that my dad picked up for me secondhand in 1979.
Good tools are worth the investment and last the distance

Old 31-Oct-2006, 07:20
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken

It's not difficult to "rivet" a chain as they usually come with a clip to go around the joining link.

I think that is a "Split Link" that you are talking about Chicken, to rivet with one of those tools you will need a "Soft Link".

You can get "soft links" for all chains, in fact i think nearly all new chains for larger capacity bikes come with a "Soft Link", I would be loath to use a "Split Link" on any bike above 250cc.

Chris
Old 31-Oct-2006, 07:40
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyH
Has anybody bought one of these of ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Delux-H-Duty-M...3300 43306891

Are they any good, would you recommend them, the price seems good but as with most thing you usually get what you pay for.

Is rivetting a chain a difficult job, does it have to be perfect or do you run the risk of the link failing and the mayhem that could follow or would you recommend getting one fitted by your usual mechanic.

yes....and i sent it back because it was corroded on 1 side and 1 of the pins was slightly bent. was last year sometime cant remember if it was that seller but it looked the same. i'll see if i can find out
Old 31-Oct-2006, 09:04
MotoGP God

This is the one I have

http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/cgi-bi...t=CH-ACC-TOOLS

Old 31-Oct-2006, 09:11
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
I think that is a "Split Link" that you are talking about Chicken, to rivet with one of those tools you will need a "Soft Link".

You can get "soft links" for all chains, in fact i think nearly all new chains for larger capacity bikes come with a "Soft Link", I would be loath to use a "Split Link" on any bike above 250cc.

Chris

sorry - yes I was talking about a split link (with the little circlip), although this tool should still help with that.

Kev, you are absolutely right - one lesson I have learnt in life is that the quality remains long after the price is forgotten.

I don't mind spending money on socket sets, etc that I use all the time but it is annoying to have to spend a lot on something that gets used very infrequently. Perhaps the solution is to club together with mates who live close by to get a joint set of good tools?