Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-May-2004, 13:51

Mood: Happy
New owner/Member with some Questions

Hi guys,

As a new owner of a 998s Bayliss (my dream bike) I thought I would join in with all the fun you are all having on this message board and hopefully, in time, will be able to contribute.

The bike is obviously second user and has 6k miles, goes like a dream. Especially after the Benelli "fiasco" I changed from.

Did my first mod today - sidestand gizmo, excellant item, although why the bike isnt set to run with the side stand down from the factory I can't guess.

Anyway a question if I may.
As this is my first Ducati and I am not used to all its various noises but having read most of the posts on here I am concerned not to miss any potential problems due to my lack of Ducati experience. So I have noticed that there is a lot of mechanical noise (they all do that sir!) at idle which is greatly reduced when I pull in the clutch lever. Is this a sign that the clutch is on its way out?

In terms of next upgrade I was thinking of a nice set of Termi's anyone know what is the correct size and best place (price) to get them?

Sorry for the long post.

Cheears,
Jon
Old 13-May-2004, 14:04
888 at Last !!!

The reason that Ducati did the side stand like that - so I'm told - is so that the bike is upright when idling so that the oil travels around the engine correctly when warming up.

The noises you can hear from the clutch on idle are completely normal. And the clutch in with less noise is correct. Even my car does that

Did the 998S bayliss rep come with a set of termis & chip as an extra when purchasing or is that just the R's. Anyway, you'd need 50mm end cans only as you've already got 50mm downpipes - and a chip to match. About 750 notes new or ~400-500 secondhand.

Tell us about your Benelli experience, would be interesting to know about.

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by ziggi]
Old 13-May-2004, 14:13
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
welcome aboard mate...you wont regret that bike! Most of the noises are just indications that its running - don't worry when you fit termis you will realise they're sooo loud you won't hear much else

ENJOY
Old 13-May-2004, 14:20
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
Hi Jon,may i congratulate you on an excellent choice of bike,but then again Duke owners are very biased!
I've got a Bayliss rep too,mine makes the same noises as you describe,just as all other Dukes do!It's caused by the gears "chattering" together at idle,it goes off when you pull the clutch because the gearbox stops turning,a new noise will then be heard! This will be a "janggling" & is caused by the clutch plates chattering in the clutch basket,this again is "normal",the joys of Ducati ownership!
I've got Ducati performance titanium cans fitted to mine. They are 54mm,they come with a collector pipe & an ECU. I purchased them from JHP about 2 years ago,i think they were about £1,300!
I hope i've been able to help you!
Old 13-May-2004, 14:51

ThanksGuys for the replies, I assumed all was ok but better to check, especially after the Benelli.

50mm Termi's it is then.

Re the Benelli wow gorgeous bike but !!

Slipper clutch does allow neutral selection (they all do that sir)
Electrics keep reseting
Terrible fuelling serious stutter between 3k and 6k
Odo reading 10x faster than it should
Even worse mirrors than my Duke
Oil leak at 1000 miles

Checking with the Benelli user group seems these are all very common problems. And a number of customers have/are suing their dealers. After 7 months and non of the probms resolved I slung it back and did a deal for the bike I should have got in the first place.

Jon
Old 13-May-2004, 15:04
Big Twin

There are some 50mm Termis in Market place! They are of a 996s I do not know if they are same as 998 pipes? I believe you need a new E.C.U. for the 998 unlike the 996s where you just need the chip. They are (I think) quite cheap at the adverised price which is less than the £400 - £500 mentioned earlier.
Old 13-May-2004, 15:13

Martin,

Presumably the ECU needs to be matched to the 50mm Term's.

Anyone know where I can get it or the part No.

Jon
Old 13-May-2004, 15:42
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by JonSC
Martin,

Presumably the ECU needs to be matched to the 50mm Term's.

Anyone know where I can get it or the part No.

Jon

Jon don't get the ECU, it's a bloody ripoff, go for a powercommander, as it lets you remap the fuelling, rather than praying the new ECU will run right (anyone with a 748/916/996 and ducati performance chip will tell you how crap they are!)

It costs about half the price of an ECU too.
Old 13-May-2004, 15:59

Thanks DJ,

Does the Power Commander come ready configured (i.e. it just plugs in)? or do I need a knowledgable person to install?

Cheers,
Jon
Old 13-May-2004, 16:39
Big Twin

You'll be fine mate its a piece of p1ss to install, if I can do it without screwing up anyone can

I think you can download the installation instructions from their website, then you can judge whether you can fit it yourself or not

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by DJ Tera]