Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Sep-2005, 21:02
Mille

Mood: thrash the bitch
Private plates

Picked up my new pride and joy a few months ago, a duke 916 in fantastic condition the bike I have always wanted.
Thats the good bit, I then get a call from the dealer I bought it from to be told he will have to come and collect it and take it for a DVLA inspection, all because it was on a private plate before and it needs to go to the DVLA office at Wimbledon to be verified that it is a duke 916 and not a Ford Focus.
It appears that the previous owner had the private plate on everything but the lawn mower and they need to check all its numbers match.
Strange feeling to see my bike being carted off in the back of a van, it might not be a duke but a very fast and superb handling qualcast cylinder mower.
But it has to be done as the V5 cannot be released in my name untill they have checked it out.
Are the DVLA finally getting tuff or was I just unlucky.
Should get the bike back soon, but was not impressed with the dealer, it may not be the dealers falt but I was still ****ed off with the whole fiasco.
Just a warning on plate changing.
Old 11-Sep-2005, 21:05
Mille

Mood: Very sad
Happens all the time dealer should have applied for reregetration as soon as he took the verhical in unless it was on sor.
Old 12-Sep-2005, 07:30
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
You sure the dealer isn't pulling a fast one, by having another buyer lined up for thr plate. Have you had contact with DVLA yourself about the matter. If not i would make some calls.
Old 12-Sep-2005, 11:04
Big Twin

the dvla randomly call for cars/bikes etc to be examied, (identity check really) when transfering plates. especially if they pick up something about the transfer, for example that yopu might have sold the car or whetever but have left it until after its sold to get the plate off, can be awkward asking who youve sold it to to borow it to take it back to dvla for inspection.

the rule is if you want to tranfer the plate do it before you sell it once you have sold the vehcale the reg no becomes the property of the buyer technically. although not really as DVLA will tell you thebregistration marks all belong to them and its simply that they only allow you to use them.

i think in your case it is actually the daelers fault, and it appears you may have bought a bike without getting the portrion of the registration doc appropirate for your bike??

simply you couldnt have been using it legally as tax etc is req to transfer plates

[Edited on 12-9-2005 by Bungi]