Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 06-Mar-2006, 18:31
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
MotoGP Subscribers?

I'm sure I've seen questions here about the official MotoGP website subscription services before, but mine's fairly specific about the video quality.

Basically I don't have Sky and I'm not paying for Top Up TV. But I am still keen to watch the MotoGP races this year. Even if all the races are on BBC, I'd ideally like to watch a repeat when I want to, because I probably can't watch every race live (MotoGP round one and DD Cadwell clash - who planned that!). It looks like the best option for me is to subscribe to the Premium MotoGP package for EUR32. Sounds like decent value.......

However, I don't want to be watching some online streaming video the size of a postage stamp (translates as 320x240) at 300kbps. I've searched the MotoGP website for further information on this and it would seem that they are using Windows Media 9 player. What I want to know is the resolution and bitrate of the videos. Are we talking 720x576 and 2Mbps (nice high quality)? I'd even be OK if the Live races were at a lower resolution, but the subsequent VOD service was at a higher quality.

Anyone know?
Old 06-Mar-2006, 18:46
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
freeview gives you british Eurosport I believe, Set top box`s are under £60 for a good one, why not try that.

Chris.
Old 06-Mar-2006, 18:49
Big Twin

I have Freeview built into my TV and it doesn't give you British Eurosport. You need Top Up TV for British Eurosport (£20 connection and £8/month for broadcast between 11am and midnight apparently)

Unfortunately this still doesn't solve my "replay on demand" want either.
Old 07-Mar-2006, 08:57
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Sorry, must have got my wires crossed, I get the basic sky package wich gives me both Eurosprts etc, the only other cheaper way is cable.

Chris.
Old 10-Mar-2006, 19:27
Big Twin

Well I subscribed. In summary their video quality is poor - frame dimensions are 380x284, bitrate is 390kbps.

I've written a bit of a review of my feelings so far -

http://kapitalmoto.co.uk/node/11

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit