Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 12-Oct-2006, 13:10
GTL

A little paradox

I work in social housing. We have a small group of very vocal residents who turn up at every meeting full of hate and aggression. Ranting, raving and complaining. Genuine people with no gripes just don’t go. They’re happy. And if on the odd occasion one or two do turn up, they’ll only do so the once. It’s not a forum I’d voluntarily go to. This small handful of people – probably about 10 people out of a stock of many thousands of homes (I can name every one of them) – generate a huge amount of work for us and much unrest and unhappiness amongst the majority of our lovely, happy residents and staff. If they have an idea, in their opinion it’s 100% right. No two ways about it. They don’t need proof. They haven’t thought about the knock on effect it may have. They know! They bang on and on about the same issue, saying they’re not being listened to; that there’s conspiracy against them; hate campaigns; you name it. They think we’re terrible; horrible people for what they perceive, not listening to them. After a lengthy process we eventually go to independent mediators and put the matter to rest. Hey presto, up pops another issue the next day. Surprise, surprise they even want to be on committees and management groups. You’ve all met them. They’re in all warps of life. But you wouldn’t put them in a position of trust or management if they were the last person on earth. They haven’t got the tools for the job.

The MT will never please all of the people all of the time. There are a handful of people that, in their opinion, will always know better, do better, whatever. Deeply upsetting for the majority but that’s just the way the World is put together.

Thanks MT for 3 years of fun and good times, and many more to come. x
Old 12-Oct-2006, 13:11
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally
(edit) And the meeting Chaired by an interested party who is not a member of the RC or MT.

Good idea in theory but requires someone with no ties from either perspective who is viewed as being "neutral", specifically regarding DD. Whoever it is will have to ensure that all the DD related points are listened to, everybody with a genuine interest will be there so its hardly going to be cloak and dagger is it.

I suggest Eamonn as although he is on the MT he is not controversial and is well respected. (won't be getting a Chrimbo card from him this year then )

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 13:14
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul James
Good idea in theory but requires someone with no ties from either perspective who is viewed as being "neutral", specifically regarding DD. Whoever it is will have to ensure that all the DD related points are listened to, everybody with a genuine interest will be there so its hardly going to be cloak and dagger is it.

I suggest Eamonn as although he is on the MT he is not controversial and is well respected. (won't be getting a Chrimbo card from him this year then )

Me ?
Old 12-Oct-2006, 13:17
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette harris
I work in social housing. We have a small group of very vocal residents who turn up at every meeting full of hate and aggression. Ranting, raving and complaining. Genuine people with no gripes just don’t go. They’re happy. And if on the odd occasion one or two do turn up, they’ll only do so the once. It’s not a forum I’d voluntarily go to. This small handful of people – probably about 10 people out of a stock of many thousands of homes (I can name every one of them) – generate a huge amount of work for us and much unrest and unhappiness amongst the majority of our lovely, happy residents and staff. If they have an idea, in their opinion it’s 100% right. No two ways about it. They don’t need proof. They haven’t thought about the knock on effect it may have. They know! They bang on and on about the same issue, saying they’re not being listened to; that there’s conspiracy against them; hate campaigns; you name it. They think we’re terrible; horrible people for what they perceive, not listening to them. After a lengthy process we eventually go to independent mediators and put the matter to rest. Hey presto, up pops another issue the next day. Surprise, surprise they even want to be on committees and management groups. You’ve all met them. They’re in all warps of life. But you wouldn’t put them in a position of trust or management if they were the last person on earth. They haven’t got the tools for the job.

The MT will never please all of the people all of the time. There are a handful of people that, in their opinion, will always know better, do better, whatever. Deeply upsetting for the majority but that’s just the way the World is put together.

Thanks MT for 3 years of fun and good times, and many more to come. x

Interesting analogy, the people you refer to all have a roof over their heads and are generally looked after. The system works for the vast, appreciative majority. If you asked many of those contented people what all the fuss was about they would probably not have a clue. They would be happily living in their house, with a roof over their heads and being generally looked after.

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 13:19
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksyracing
Me ?

I'm just off out to walk my dog

Anybody wanting to put their name on the interested in attending list could you use the specific DD meeting thread please.

PJ

Old 12-Oct-2006, 13:23
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
I would offer to Chair depending on when and where the meeting is held. I would suggest that it may be worth having a small 'panel' of independents to help resolve this as it will be one heck of a bun fight from what I can work out and it may be a challenge for one person.

If it was organised I would suggest a panel of DSC members that could resolve this including Eamon, Gizmo, myself and maybe another.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 13:23
500SD

Quote:
Good idea in theory but requires someone with no ties from either perspective who is viewed as being "neutral", specifically regarding DD.

Ah, well there's the rub. But it's not an impossible task to find somebody... if there is the will...

Quote:
Whoever it is will have to ensure that all the DD related points are listened to, everybody with a genuine interest will be there so its hardly going to be cloak and dagger is it.

I suggest Eamonn as although he is on the MT he is not controversial and is well respected.

Except... that disregards the apparent level of suspicion from some of the participants. If you are going to do this, it would be worthless if it could be accused of being a white wash - that the MT manipulated the agenda. It's not a question of would or wouldn't - as long as both parties have faith in the transparency of the independent Chair and as long as the Chair is not a member of the MT.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 13:27
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Quote:
(edit) And the meeting Chaired by an interested party who is not a member of the RC or MT.

From what I've seen on here you need Madmav to chair it with a few of his mates as ' moderators '
Old 12-Oct-2006, 13:27
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily
I would offer to Chair depending on when and where the meeting is held. I would suggest that it may be worth having a small 'panel' of independents to help resolve this as it will be one heck of a bun fight from what I can work out and it may be a challenge for one person.

If it was organised I would suggest a panel of DSC members that could resolve this including Eamon, Gizmo, myself and maybe another.

An excellent idea methinks. And some good choices in personnel.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 13:32
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Ah, well there's the rub. But it's not an impossible task to find somebody... if there is the will...

Except... that disregards the apparent level of suspicion from some of the participants. If you are going to do this, it would be worthless if it could be accused of being a white wash - that the MT manipulated the agenda. It's not a question of would or wouldn't - as long as both parties have faith in the transparency of the independent Chair and as long as the Chair is not a member of the MT.

We run the risk of blowing this out of proportion and it ending up unworkable. It's a simple get together that ANY member can attend, we can put an agenda together BUT it might be as well to just let people from the floor raise a question then answer them as they are raised. We can take minutes then publish the outcome in next Pronto.

The MT have no interest in manipulating the agenda, the meeting would be pointless if that was the case.

Might sound haphazzard but it does work I can assure you. NOBODY will be shouted down or their views stifled thee wouldn't be a point in doing it otherwise.

It is only October so we do have the luxury of time on our side before the start of next season.