Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-Apr-2012, 16:48
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Dyno rules - nicked frrom 848 Cup

this seems a great idea to make sure bikes stay within both the rules and the spirit of non tuning rules..it follows of from the base map on a fairly stock EVO

Furthermore, the above should be regarded as a 'base curve', and we will be expecting the power curve of all machines to be broadly following the same path and values as the base curve, with an exception for the 'flattening' of the emissions control at the 7,000 rpm point. Machines showing excessive power above this base curve will be investigated as will those showing unexpected peak power, maximum revs, or other differing values at points along the base curve. Competitors are reminded that this is a series for stock bikes, where it is accepted that engines will be rebuilt for mechanical and longevity reasons, but where 'mechanical licence' will not be tolerated.

http://www.ducati848challenge.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=61
Old 11-Apr-2012, 19:41
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
So for Class B what would the standard curve be based on. pre 1999 models or Post 1999 models
Would it be the 600SS with the 35mm 2 into 1 or the Monster with the 40mm 2 into 2

Would it be with or with out airbox, with or without standard Cam timing and if not standard then which figure should the curve be based on. Then should it be with or without Standard Ignition timing figures (Standard KOSO or AL9000 modules) with or without standard valve clearances, Squish and Compression values (ie standard Base gasket or not). Normal unleaded, Shell v+, Esso super or any other of legal fuel.

As for Class A maybe all bikes should run a standard 620 DP ECU, along with standard Clocks and no power commander or any other type of additional fueling device, plus introducing a control fuel,
Seems like a backward step to me but it would make producing a control graph a possibility

Out of interest How many of the 848 bikes were Dyno'd at Brands and the Dyno Charts compared with the base Dyno Chart before they arrived in the winners enclosure and the trophies were awarded

Also out of interest what is the Air/Fuel ratio of the Control bike used to generate the base graph and how much BHP increase at say 8500 rpm would be classed as excessive

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 11-Apr-2012, 19:53
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Errr 42 I think

Craig
Old 11-Apr-2012, 20:19
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbyte666
Errr 42 I think

Craig

Correct Well done, Myself and the White Mice agree with your answer

Old 11-Apr-2012, 20:19
Mille
Bikes: M620ie, DD583R #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbyte666
Errr 42

tres bon Craig

I'd like to see dyno runs of those various set ups kev, wonder if the compulsary ones could be made public with accompanying notes, its only club racing after all

The torque curve is impressively flat on that 848, compared to my ss.

pete
Old 11-Apr-2012, 20:54
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicoops
tres bon Craig

I'd like to see dyno runs of those various set ups kev, wonder if the compulsary ones could be made public with accompanying notes, its only club racing after all

The torque curve is impressively flat on that 848, compared to my ss.pete

You can get them very flat on the 583. Here is a pic of mine.

Old 11-Apr-2012, 21:01
MotoGP God

Look up 6 hats thinking Kev this is a white not a black hat suggestion.....

Seemed a great way to stop over tuning then using other mechanical or electrical components to 'cheat' (term used loosely before anyone gets the arse!) the engine/rules etc

Re baseline, for B wouldn't that be a 583 of any age with stage 2 kit filter and dynotjet no air box lid and open can, with cam timing probably good for 51 ish so inside the rules but not on them

For A similar; PC turned so the AF is at a specified level (eg 13:1) with race can/s high flow filter with air box on

Again good for 62 ish I'd imagine so same within rules but far enough away a little more work can be done

Isn't this what the no tuning rule was kind of meant to do; stop hidden work affecting the performance without having to constantly protest bikes?

Only a thought
Old 11-Apr-2012, 21:15
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders

Isn't this what the no tuning rule was kind of meant to do; stop hidden work affecting the performance without having to constantly protest bikes?

Other than the Bike I protested at Cadwell and the one at the Snetterton event that I didn't attend in the early days oof DD before max Power figures were in the rules where is this constantly protesting of bikes

Lots of complaints about Alan's old bike at Brands, but I didn't notice anybody heading for the race office with protest fee in hand.

As for Dyno figures I have seen all the Class A bikes that posted Dyno figures at Brands were less than the #7 bike as posted on Facebook, if I took Awesomes Chart as the base, probably 80 to 90% of the Class A bikes would be deemed as making excessive power and many of them were struggling to keep pace with a legal Class B bike

Old 11-Apr-2012, 22:22
MotoGP God

Not sure why it's taken personally, it's only a thought, and think you'll find most were similar to #7 - Sennas was around 63 and matts 64

I have heard loads around the paddock about de-tuning, lots from you Kev, how rules are avoided and manipulated, how bikes can be set up so they make the rules n power but shift power and torq and it's done because they are of power. And who would protest - the comment was you'd have to constantly protest not do? If someone ran straight into me, and I thought it was totally meant and not just out braked them selves, or something else, I still wouldn't, and certainly wouldn't someone's bike and suggest most of us rea the same; it's club racing
Old 11-Apr-2012, 22:37
Mille
Bikes: M620ie, DD583R #30

[quote=Ghost]You can get them very flat on the 583. Here is a pic of mine.[quote]

Is that a chart of last years winning bike, with torque in ft/lb on left scale?

pete