Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Dec-2006, 17:22
Mille

Removing Engine

Guys

I have the 748 on an Abba Superbike stand and I have stripped it down as far as just the engine and swingarm left!

I am now ready to drop the enigne out of the frame. Can anyone advise how they have done this in the past. I was thinking about simply getting a few blocks of wood on a trolley jack. Unbolting from the frame and lowering it to the floor enabling me to simply lift the frame off?

Any pics of past attempts would be good!

And yes I know I should have bought a proper engine stand from Ducati! Wish I had now! However I am sure I sore on here someone made there own!

Cheers

Chris
Old 21-Dec-2006, 17:52
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Hi Chris,

Took my motor out (again) about a month a go.

All I did was as you elluded too (i.e. trolley jack and undo the bolts)

You just have to make sure you have all the wiring out of the way and any hoses etc.

Watch the vertical barrel as you drop the engine. On the trolley jack it is liable to jam onto the cross member that straddles the frame rails. You may have to tilt the motor backwards slightly as you lower so that it clears here by just the right amount.

Apart from that you've done all the hard work....................

except for geting the frikkin swingarm pivot bolt out. If using a metal 'drift' to punch the bolt out, be carefull not to damage the threads on the clutch-side end of the bolt. Ideally you could do with a long bolt (2-3 inches for example that has the same thread as the swingarm bolt). That way you could screw the bolt into the end of the swingarm bolt (from the clutch side) and aim all your hammer force at the worthless bolt rather than your much needed swingarm bolt.

HTH.

Good luck.

Guy

www.copeimages.com

WeeJohnyB, Best instructor out there http://www.nolimitstrackdays.com/
Old 21-Dec-2006, 18:16
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Hi Chris,

Took my motor out (again) about a month a go.

All I did was as you elluded too (i.e. trolley jack and undo the bolts)

You just have to make sure you have all the wiring out of the way and any hoses etc.

Watch the vertical barrel as you drop the engine. On the trolley jack it is liable to jam onto the cross member that straddles the frame rails. You may have to tilt the motor backwards slightly as you lower so that it clears here by just the right amount.

Apart from that you've done all the hard work....................

except for geting the frikkin swingarm pivot bolt out. If using a metal 'drift' to punch the bolt out, be carefull not to damage the threads on the clutch-side end of the bolt. Ideally you could do with a long bolt (2-3 inches for example that has the same thread as the swingarm bolt). That way you could screw the bolt into the end of the swingarm bolt (from the clutch side) and aim all your hammer force at the worthless bolt rather than your much needed swingarm bolt.

HTH.

Good luck.

Guy

It's this dam swingarm bolt that I am dreading! Should be getting to that tomorrow!

So just to check -

1. Under the swing arm bolt and remove. (Should be easy with a decent wrench)

2. When you say metal drift do you mean a piece of steel tube or such like! I am going to have to go on the hunt tomorrow and see what they have in at B&Q!

Chris.
Old 21-Dec-2006, 18:35
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Hi Chris,

The clutch side of the swingarm bolt is a socket (not sure on the size) and the other side is a 14mm allen key. You hold one still whilst undoing the other.

Don't be under any illusion that it'll be easy with 'a decent wrench'.

Plenty of 748/9** owners/members will attest that this can be a ba*t*rd of a job if it's never been undone before (i.e. not loosened up and regreased etc).

Once you have the clutch-side nut off, it is (or should I say "should be") a simple task of sliding the swingarm bolt (SA bolt here on) out by 'tapping' it from the clutch side using an appropriately sized piece of tubular metal or bar (i.e. a 'drift'). Ideally you could get the right sized socket but get it in a 'deep socket' format where the socket is about 3 inches long. That way you could undo the nut on the SA bolt about 2 turns leaving it inside the thread of the SA bolt and then remove your socket wrench and then hammer on the end of socket itself enough to budge/free the SA bolt.

Instead and more often than not, it's a casing of braying absolute f**k out of your bike as the SA bolt is jammed solid and doesn't budge under even the most extreme persuasion....trust me... I and many others have been there and is why I say be carefull not to damage the threads on the clutch-side end of the bar or indeed, flare the ends of the bar itself as you hammer on it.

HTH even further but shout if you need any more.

Guy

www.copeimages.com

WeeJohnyB, Best instructor out there http://www.nolimitstrackdays.com/

Last edited by Guido : 21-Dec-2006 at 18:40.
Old 21-Dec-2006, 18:40
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Don't use steel, use a bit of ally bar, and yes, B&Q do sell it. But you're right, the Ducati engine stand really helps. Where are you located? In this fog, it'd better be close if you want to borrow it

Rgds,

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 888 Winter Strip 05 099 (Medium).jpg (88.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 888 Winter Strip 05 088 (Medium).jpg (116.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 21-Dec-2006, 20:21
Mille

Rob

I really appreciate the offer and if you were any nearer I would take you up on that and come and pick it up!

Looks like it does the job spot on!
Old 22-Dec-2006, 12:09
500SD

I supported the engine,then lifted the frame off.Without the Ducati engine stand,the motor tended to jam when lowering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 888 re build 004 (Small).jpg (42.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 22-Dec-2006, 18:24
Mille
Bikes: 750ss Monster 750,Monster S4

Mood: happy
use an aluminium or brass drift to get the bolt out

jerry
Old 23-Dec-2006, 14:18
Shandy

I used one of these with a few blocks of wood for the monster and it worked treat,