Ducati Sporting Club UK
Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers!
This section allows you to ask questions about insurance directly to Ducati Insurance and receive a reply!

Old 22-Aug-2005, 22:24
500SD

PROTECTED NO CLAIMS

My renewal is due and i have accumulated 5 years No Claims Bonus

Is protected no claims wrth the paper its written on?

Any advice would be gratfully received
Old 22-Aug-2005, 23:13
Big Twin

Unless you know you're not going to stick your bike into a hedge , protecting a decent NCB has to be worth it. If you somehow end up with zero NCB, you'll be paying through the nose for insurance, and be treated like an outcast for the privilege!!
Old 22-Aug-2005, 23:16
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Had no experience of protected no claims on a bike and claims. My wife and I have it on her car insurance and I totalled it 2 years ago ... my fault claimed on the insurance with no effect to the NCB or renewel the following year.

I've protected my NCB on the bike for the last 2 years, cost is quite low and I think it's worth the expense.
Old 22-Aug-2005, 23:27
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmm...

Insuring your Insurance....Doncha just love it?
Old 22-Aug-2005, 23:33
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Have to agree with carbon749. If you have managed to get your NCB over 5 years, you have to protect it.
Old 22-Aug-2005, 23:46
500SD

Decision made

Thanks for al;l of the advice, protected No Claims it is

I almost feel like an adult
Old 22-Aug-2005, 23:49
Big Twin

I've got protected no-claims on my bike, and now I've just made a large-ish claim, I'lll be "interested" to see what impact it has when I renew next year.

Watch this space come January...
Old 23-Aug-2005, 13:02
Bevel Head

Mood: Stressed as usual!
The thing to remember is that insurance has many rating factors. Most insurers, in addition to their no claims discount, also have loadings for claims experience depending on the circumstances and time. However when you consider the amount of discount a no claims bonus gives, it is worth taking protected bonus.

Just as an aside Access Underwriting at insuremyducati offer guaranteed bonus from one years bonus up to full bonus - so your discount will remain at the full level no matter how many claims you make.
Old 23-Aug-2005, 14:21
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by moto748
I've got protected no-claims on my bike, and now I've just made a large-ish claim, I'lll be "interested" to see what impact it has when I renew next year.

Watch this space come January...

Years back I had a short contract with one of the big "Direct" Insurers, and it was quite an eye-opener. Protecting your No-Claims is definitely worth it but, if you have a claim, your next premium will still go up. The claim will mean your base premium will go up, although you will still get the maximum discount off it. If you didn't take the protected option, your base premium would go up AND the discount allowed would plummet. This is how some car insurers offer "guaranteed" no-claims...you start with a £300 base premium with a 60% discount, after a few prangs, you still get 60% discount, but now its off a £700 base premium.
Old 23-Aug-2005, 15:37
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Never protected mine. If you do have a claim, you will only loose some, not all of you ncb. As you have to pay to protect your ncb each year you could find that after 2 or 3 years the cost of the protection is higher than the loading for 1 claim over that period, unless of course you have a few claims. But as others have said the cost still goes up due to the increase in the base premium, and you could still find no one will insure you if you have too many claims.
Protected no claims is just another way for the insurance companies to make money - they don't do out of kindness for our benefit!

[Edited on 23-8-2005 by Steve M]