Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Mar-2009, 22:13

k&n crankcase filter

Hi,fitted one of those k&n filters to my 996 crankcase breather ,even got a nice red silicone hose to extend it away from the exhaust.I thought it improved the looks and got rid of the ugly std one,however i've just been reading an old post which advises against them as oil can go on the back wheel.As i see it,oil will only come out of the filter if the engine is worn and breathing.Am i right? has anybody got one on?
Old 19-Mar-2009, 22:24
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I used them on my race and road 800ss bikes. They give no problems at all. You might get oil loss that you describe if you pull extended wheelies, but then if you do you get what you deserve!
Old 20-Mar-2009, 21:46

Thanks twpd,i was starting to get a little worried after reading shaazams post about them
Old 21-Mar-2009, 08:26
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Shazaams post is well founded. There's nothing wrong with the stock system at all. If you look deeper into the "physics" of crankcase venting then the K&N is the wrong way to go.
More impoprtantly the issue of oil misting over the back wheel is the biggest issue. The engines can and do breath quite heavily, easily pumping some, if only a small amount of oil to the airbox. I've seen quite a few and know of a couple that have resulted in off's.
I wouldn't sell them. Won't fit them and advise against them.
Old 21-Mar-2009, 09:14
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
They look great though!!! The only issue with oil on the rear wheel seems to be if the filter becomes oiled up and unable to retain all of the excess.

Keeping the filter clean effectively eliminates this, along with position the filter where any excess would be as far away from the wheel as possible.
Old 21-Mar-2009, 17:33
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
If anyone uses the filter straight onto the crankcase outlet then they're an idiot. Mine resides on the long length of hose under the rear seat. It stays free of oil mist up there. I don't agree with Shazaam on this issue.