Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 03-May-2005, 12:00
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
From my track experience at Castle Combe, albeit in a Subaru Impreza, they do a drive-by noise test and if you exceed the limit you'll not be allowed on the track. They never checked the cars over other than that, but I guess as most arrived by road they probably weren't that bothered.
Yes, one guy did fail and he wasn't allowed out.

I'd go with the noise killer and fake sticker to back it up. I'm sure they're only concerned over the noise given the current happenings with the circuit, and if they're seen to be doing their job with noise testing then that's good enough to keep the local council happy.

Track fairings might raise some eyebrows, so it might be worth peeling the number stickers off to make it less obvious? Remember that this is a trackday run by a bike company, so they really don't want a load of loony racers ****ing their customers off!
Old 03-May-2005, 12:05
Big Twin

For trackdays...

It's noise restricted and incredibly tight on the testing, every bike is tested and the circuits monitored at a few points (Quarry being one IIRC). They can be closed down on the day if the noise level is exceeded, so although they want you to get out and ride, they're very keen on the test.

e-markings are irrelevant, but a dB killer would probably help a lot.

As for MoT standard, I've seen many race bikes at trackdays there, and if they're at ACU spec, I can't see them being turned away.
Old 03-May-2005, 12:07
Big Twin

Another thing from my previous TD's their is they don't run groups of the novice / fast / inters type, but put a mix out on the circuit.

This may have changed recently though.
Old 03-May-2005, 12:11
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_S
For trackdays...

It's noise restricted and incredibly tight on the testing, every bike is tested and the circuits monitored at a few points (Quarry being one IIRC). They can be closed down on the day if the noise level is exceeded, so although they want you to get out and ride, they're very keen on the test.

e-markings are irrelevant, but a dB killer would probably help a lot.

As for MoT standard, I've seen many race bikes at trackdays there, and if they're at ACU spec, I can't see them being turned away.

thanks for the feedback.

Phil
Old 03-May-2005, 12:14
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
all DD bikes should be under 105 so i dont see it being a problem
Old 03-May-2005, 12:21
Ducati Meccanica

I'm not doing the track day at Castle Combe so race day will be my first time even seeing the track let alone riding it.
I'm taking some decibel killers for my Sil's just to be on the safe side.
Old 03-May-2005, 12:24
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix n max
I'm taking some decibel killers for my Sil's just to be on the safe side.

why? you wont need them.
Old 03-May-2005, 12:27
Ducati Meccanica

The Sil's i've got are supposed to be 105db and as they are not new I just want to make sure I don't fall foul of the rules and end up not racing (as if) for the sake of £20.
Old 03-May-2005, 12:28
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Racing will not be as bad as the trackday - I think it's even classified as a "noisy day" so you should be fine.

105dB is pretty damn loud, and you will fall foul of the DD rules if it's over that anyway.
Old 03-May-2005, 12:56
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
[/quote]

There was some noise testing done on the bikes at Cadwell on Sunday, does anyone know exactly how they did that test (distance from cans, revs, angle etc) and what the readings came out as? [/quote]

I was tested, but only as much as holding the bike at 6K whilst they measured the noise output from the cans. I reckon I must have passed though, but couldn't really see what they were doing, as I was sitting on the bugga.

Others might of had a better view?

I'm also a bit concerned about getting a "qualifying" bike out onto CC on the 18th. I'm gonna try and fit the standard cans to the monnie, but if I can, I'll take the ZX in standard trim too, so at least I'll have been out on the track.

Would rather take the Monnie though (as Fil says) for setup etc....

I think we need a definitive answer on this, I'm gonna try to call them this pm to get a response - I'll probably get the standard response though.....

Has anyone been on any of these days? Are there race bikes out there? People have raced there before and must have faced the same issues? Might try New Era too??

Tim

Tim