Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Nov-2005, 17:29
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Heated Grips

I want heated grips and so far have learnt the following

1. you can buy after market ones many look rubbish but are cheap so are probably crap - please correct me if i am mistaken.

2. Ducati sell really pricey ones for £230 for a multi strada they look great but are not actually designed for an ST, this means spending loadsa dough then having to make them fit.

anyone got any experience of fitting heated grips to an ST.
Old 19-Nov-2005, 17:54
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I'm almost 100% certain that the grip sizes on a Multi and an ST are identical so you shouldn't have any problems getting the grips to fit. The only thing that might be specific to a Multi might be the amount of cable they provide to wire them up or maybe they've got a plug on them that fit into a ready made socket on the loom or something.

Mind you, running a suitable feed from the ST loom or power socket shouldn't be too difficult
Old 19-Nov-2005, 20:14
Ducati Meccanica

Riders at Bridgwater thought the only likely problem maybe siting the switch as they thought on a multistrada they may be a blank to remove designed for the job. I find it difficult to believe that there isnt a purpose designed set of heated grips for an ST.
Old 21-Nov-2005, 21:45
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I have heated grips on my ST4S.
They are after market jobs, and work a treat.

I have the temp control unit attached to the left hand side black plastic fairing trim. The cables from the grips reach over to this location without too much of a problem. It is held on with double sided tape.
Mine is wired directly to the battery, but this isn't ideal because if someone decided to turn the grips on while the bike is unattended it could flatten the battery. My mate with a 4S has his wired to a fuse in the fuse box (not sure which one, but it is the one that has its power cut when the ignition is off). For this reason I unplug them when not in use

Fitting the grips can be a bit of a mare as they aren't very squashy. The big problem for me was getting the throttle grip on. The original grip is very thin rubber, and the inner plastic shell has lumps on it to stop the rubber from turning on it. You have to doctor this a bit else the heated grip squashes it in so it doesn't spin freely on the handlebar. I trimmed it a bit, but not enough, so had to sand the inside a bit to give enough clearance. Once the grip is on it aint coming off again !
The left one is held in place with hair spray (helps it slip on, then sticks it in place ).

The ones I brought had the grip ends covered over for some reason (I probably picked up the wrong set !), so I had to cut the end plug off. It doesn't notice in the slightest as the cut is covered up by the bar ends.

I think I got them from MPS or M&P, and they cost about 45 quid.

I'm now working on heated grips for the pillion

I hope that is of some help.

Cheers,
John
Old 21-Nov-2005, 21:59
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
I've got Daytona grips on my multi and they work fine, the switch is easily placed using silicon adhesive as glue, grips go over throttle but not easily and will not go right to the iner edge as the oem grp slips over a raised part on throttle lever. i stuck them down with hondas grip glue and they never move.

multi has an extra socket located inside right hand headstock area, you can buy plugs to fit easily from RS or vehicle wiring products, not sure if ST has this but it might be worth checking a wiring diagram.
Old 21-Nov-2005, 22:51
Ducati Meccanica

I know this is cheeky, but any photos would be really helpful
Old 21-Nov-2005, 23:31
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
Silicone and hairspray!!!!! Whats wrong with good old fashioned blu-tac???
Old 22-Nov-2005, 10:55
Mille
Bikes: 748

Mood: C'est la vie...
Have heated Oxford grips on my 748: Ideal - it allows me to ride in summer gloves all year round!

Sorry, can't help with the fitting bit though: Tony at Two Four Italia put them on when he repaired my little beauty after a myopic woman drove into the back of me 18 months ago (knee will never be 100%)

I can only recommend heated grips - even if some say it is heresy on a 74*/9**
Old 22-Nov-2005, 10:57
Mille
Bikes: 748

Mood: C'est la vie...
Hmmmm, looking at the weather - I must go out for a spin for an hour or more this afternoon: -2ºC at night & effectively 20-25ºC in the sun at midday !
Old 22-Nov-2005, 13:10
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Oxford Hot-hands.
velcro over std grips making it a bit bulky but more comfy and very effective as the elements are closer to your gloves. Switch is zip mtied to ctr of handlebar on my multi and hard-wired into a switched +ve on fusebox.