Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Oct-2003, 12:53
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
shall I get one?

Perhaps this is n't the right section to ask the question, but as this is the section used by you Multistrada people and perhaps some of the replies might help future users considering buying one I thought i might ask a question or two?
My situation:

I am thinking about trading in the 916 for a Multistrada, - and admit to being torn between what I know is practical and right against my heart which loves the look of the 916.

I bought the 916 a year ago and have done about 3500miles on her, - i don't find her uncomfortable but i do have problems within my own head about riding her as she has to be ridden on the road (full on). There are also times when I want to just pop out on the bike into town with jeans and leather jacket and not the full gear, - I would also like to be able to use a bike from time to time to take the wife on the back, - I also love being part of the Ducati ownership thing. To me this all leads to one bike; The Multistrada, but how can I part with the most beautiful bike in the world? If only I could justify having 2 Ducatis, but I can't as it would n't be fair on the family.

So is the Multistrada enough of a thrill to ride to replace the buzz of a 916?
Is the engine enough? Is it smooth? I found the 916 to be smoother than my old 900SL.The problems I read that some of you have had with yours I read as Ducati niggles that are part of the ownership of the brand so I have no issues there. I know I need to go test ride one, - but I believe keefyboy you have both types of bikes, - how do you find the differing rides? I followed you around wet Mallory, - and it was a great site to see you exit Gerrards on the outside of me sitting up there in the sky.
Excuse me unburdening my troubles on you here.
Old 23-Oct-2003, 13:37
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Ian, I sold my 16month old beautiful red 996 at end of May after just one 2.5 hour long test ride on a Multistrada. It was definitely love at first ride(ohh errr, missus!).
Don't get me wrong I too had yearned for a 996 since buying my first Ducati (750ss) back in 1999. Even took her on a 3,000 mile circumnavigation of Europe but for all the very reasons that you are wrestling with in your own mind I knew in my heart of hearts it was nothing more than a short term relationship, a brief passionate affair if you like!
If I was going to get the best out of me and my bike on the road then I had to settle for the more practical Multistrada.
With the imminent advent of road charging in Edinburgh I now regularly use the bike for that brief ride into town without the need to get all suited and booted up! No sore wrists and back bumbling around town and the panniers are great load-luggers.
What I would stress though is that I don't see having a Multistrada as settling for second best. For normal every day riding on our roads it's every bit as fun and exciting as the 996 and to be honest I haven't noticed any real appreciable difference in performance. I even believe that the Multistrada is more confidence building and definitely more forgiving on the road.
As for looks well after the 996 nothing was ever going to look as good but it does grow on you. The only real disaapointment was that it didn't sound as good as the 996 but recent fitting of a set of Termi's have sorted that out.
Add a few DP parts and accessories and it really is the business. As for niggles the most annoying of the few there have been is the unavailability of accessories although that has in recent weeks begun to sort itself out, slowly but surely.
I for one don't ever regret replacing the 996 with the MS. On the contrary I now take the bike out much more often and use it in circumstances I wouldn't have dreamed of using the 996.
Try one out and I'm sure you too will be converted.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on!
Old 24-Oct-2003, 11:42
Ducati Meccanica

thanks lucky

I had a sit on one yesterday, - and it does feel a bit short, - perhaps flatter bars may help. There seems to be a few demonstarators around for sale, - but not sure I want to but a Ducati demo bike, - has it been warmed up before riding off?

If i is not a rude question how much is the termi system?

I am going to test ride one and get a trade in price!!

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by Ian]
Old 24-Oct-2003, 11:55
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Have you thought about the ST4S, especially the new 2004 one which looks much better from the front.

A real gentlemans express !
Old 24-Oct-2003, 22:56
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hi Ian,Ive been away for a few days,so Ive only just picked up this thread.
I bought my 'Strada initially as a second bike to my 999,but now I think of it as an equal,complementing the superbike series.I think that LWH has basically answered all your questions.The differance for me is that on the 'Strada you dont have to try hard to have fun,ie,go ballistic and "prove" yourself and your bikes abilities.What I mean by that is,if you want to pootle down the shops in a paddock jacket and jeans or take the missus to a country pub and not dress up like a Power Ranger then the 'Strada will do it.If you wanted to go touring around the UK or Europe then the 'Strada will do it.And if you want to do track days,.....................well you know the answer to that!
The 2 valve motor is a peach,and lets get real here,you dont need any more than the 84bhp it produces on the open road.It'll do 100mph all day with a top whack of 131 bolt upright and 138 if you bury your head under the screen.Thats fast enough,innit?
Dont get me wrong tho,I still love the speed and thrill of the superbikes.Its just the 'Strada is a more practical bike for all occasions.I did look at Monsters,but a great big bloke like me looks silly on those.(No offence Yorkie!)ST2,hmmm maybe.Certainly it does just about everything the 'Strada does,but the 'Strada is a taller bike giving me loads more confidence in town and back lanes.It great being able to see over cars and hedges.The wide bars make it easy to hustle the bike around.For me the Multistrada is an easier bike to ride than the ST.Nope,the 'Strada it is then.

Get a test ride,take off your 916 glasses and enjoy.Hey,if you are up this way,you can have a go on mine if you like!
Old 25-Oct-2003, 11:40
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Hi Ian, I think between Keefyboy and myself we've put up a pretty good sales pitch don't you think?
Termi system for MS costs a mere £689 inclusive of VAT (when I say 'mere' I mean relative to a system fora 9**). Add another couple of hours labour for fitting. I had center stand fitted at same time and between that and Termis's total bill still under(just!) £900.00.
I've also had high screen and panniers fitted, and desperately waiting on hugger, carbon belly pan, comfort seat and rear seat cowl.
Then I'll start on some more carbon bits maybe, once they've got supply problems sorted out.
I'd also offer you a go on my bike but I fear I might just be a tad out of the way for you.
My local dealer has a MS Demo for sale. I think theywere looking for something in order of £6.5k. Seems a good deal!
Good Luck!
Old 25-Oct-2003, 17:30
Ducati Meccanica

big thank you

your replies have been really helpfull, - and confirmed what I had hoped, - in that the MS is a real world bike that by the sound of it does n't dissapoint. And in relative terms that temis system is just such good value it does sound it though when comparing with the 9** range! Not that my wife would see it that way!
I guess motorcycling is a bit horse for course really and you have to pick the bike that best suits your requirements best. Perhaps up until The MS there has not been a bike that will do a bit everything so well. The ST range seems a bit too tourer focused for me, CK was good enough to let me ride her monster and it did bring about a big grin, - but I do want to do a week on the continent next spring so would like a bit of fairing protection. And 100mph cruising is enough (on autobarns of course), although the occasional excursion beyond that from time to time would do no harm!?

The commitment of the 916 hit home again the other week, - apart from the fact that come the winter it is n't so much fun to ride as the tyres have to be warm to work, myself and the wife needed to dash up to one of the Foreign consulate buildings off Picadilly. So the choice was car and congestion charge with expensive parking, train and tube or 916 being uncomfortable and in pain for a very slow 15 miles, - we took the train and tube.

The demo one close to me is around £6.5k but it's silver It seems new they are £7.6K with £400 extras or £7.2K with nothing thrown in. It is all aboout trade in value though really unless i sell privatley of course.
Old 25-Oct-2003, 18:21
WSB Hero

I think you will be doing well to get a new one for under 7.6k.(official UK bike)
I fully expect the price will rise soon,in fact in the latest On yer Bike ad,they list the 'Strada as 7750.
If you cant get a red one,what about black.I was in Riders of Bridgewater the other day and they had one in,looked great.

On the subject of accessories,QB carbon now do a selection of bits including a hugger,exhaust guard and swingarm guard.Just need someone to make cheaper screens!

[Edited on 25-10-2003 by keefyboy]
Old 28-Oct-2003, 20:32
Ducati Meccanica

ok..... so i want the black paint job on the tank and plastic, - red frame and black wheels. Why am I so awkward? OK i will take what i am offered.

Black does look good.

I will keep you guys posed once i have ridden one, thanks again.
Old 29-Oct-2003, 10:10
WSB Hero

Aha,you want one a bit like this.
Does it look good or what!?!