Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Oct-2003, 18:56
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Hey Ian,
Local Dealer in Edinburgh has got an ex-demo MS with a sticker price of £6250.00!
Got to be a bit of bunce in there too for negotiation/ trade-in!
I understand that it has somewhere between 2.5-3k miles and of course it's red!
Seems a pretty good buy!
Old 01-Nov-2003, 07:15
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Yep the price is going up to 7750 soon.
ItaliaMoto Lincoln have got a good selection of new ones,(all colours including black) and a s/h silver one.
Old 15-Nov-2003, 18:38
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
well i rode one

I thought I would get out of the Tesco's food shop today so announced to the wife that i had to take the 916 into the bike shop.
Well it was a bit more than pop in, - they let me out on their demo bike, - i will only need 20 minutes i said as i left, - 1 1/2 hours later I came back with a big smile. I will ramble on a bit here as it might be useful for other prospective MS ponder-errs.

Swinging a leg over it felt fine for me, - I am about 5'11", - it is tall compared to the 916, but the 916 is very low.
My first thoughts were, as i pulled away and then braked to get around some parked bikes were that the brakes were too fierce and the forks were too soft, - never had the front end dive before you see. Then i noticed a draft down each boot as again for the first time in ages my legs were n't bent backwards. The seating position is a bit odd as you do sit forward with bent arms. I headed off around the back roads of Gatwick which have some nice twisties but are full of holes, drains and covered in mud in places, - i was cautious but not as cautious as i would have been on the 916, - the seating position and wide bars do give you a feeling of being in control of the bike rather than at times the feeling i get of just being the crash test dummy. I came up behind a CBR600 and thought I would be polite and stay behind him, - 2 bends later i thought sod this (he was kicking up stones and far slower than i wanted to be), - so i went by expecting him to tag on, 2 bends later i could n't see him ( i could even look over my shoulder which is a no go on the 916, although the mirrors are no better). Within a couple of miles I was really enjoying myself, - the seat is odd, - it is perhaps too hard and does feel a bit tilted towards the front, - a couple of times i tried to push myself back to get more comfy, - it could be the bars though that need to be straighter and an inch away from me. Realizing that I was now on the outskirts of Dorking I thought i had better turn back, - and I did a U-turn in the road without putting a foot down!!!!!!! Back down the country lane again, - passed the CBR, - he did n't want to knod, - this time i thought i would give it a bit of way-heeeee, - and true Duc she pulls clean from 3000, - the rear suspension squats a bit and the front goes light, but no big deal. 2 cars ahead and the first left hander of an s-bend just ahead of them, - i went for it, passed them, rolled off the throttle and cornered easily, - it felt as fast round the bends as the 916, but so much easier, - i was n't concerned with the joins and bumps of the road, the MS just coped, - if it wobbled it was no big deal. The ride form here to the M23 went with me looking over the hedges and not noticing the bike, - i was doing something that i had not done in a while which was to just enjoy being out in the fresh air looking at the scenery. Onto the motorway for 1 junction, - accelerated by a Fazer 600 onto the road and out into the fast lane, - ***mph, - it is stable, i was expecting a weave, the only complaint is the screen puts too much wind onto your head, but i guess that is easily sorted. I guesstimate that 90mph cruising all day is no problem (on autobahns of course), perhaps 100mph with a better screen. Would be interesting to know if panniers bring on a weave? Off the motorway and back towards the dealers, - i was impressed, the bike rides better than he looks as if it will, i knew it handled from following keefyboy around Mallory. It is not as "plush" comfortable as i thought it would be, - but the most important thing is that it just lets you ride with a smile. It can be what you want it to be. The 916 needs t be controlled and mastered to get anything out of it, - it is a summer, dry road no traffic no speed traps bike. I did get back onto the 916 and had that initial feeling of having my hands hugging the front tyre, - but there is still part of me that still loves the full on committed ride, - i just need to decide what is right for me, -do i accept that i am 40 next year and get more sensible, to be honest i would like to own both, - i know the MS would get used more, and that perhaps tells its own story about what 1 bike i should own.
As keefyboy said prices have gone up, the black is available and there is a new 0% finance deal. As usual the trade in price was not what i had hoped for, - i understand that they cannot give the same payback on magnesium Marchesinis and carbon stuff.
One thing that did concern me and you guys with them can advise on, - the front brake when warm was really juddering if i braked hard, - when very warm it almost through the bars out of my hands, not a problem as i was down to walking pace by then - is that warped disks? - Not normal is it?

[Edited on 15-11-2003 by Ian]
Old 15-Nov-2003, 22:45
WSB Hero

Brake judder.

Yep,they all do that sir.Dunno what it is,seems to effect some more than others.I mentioned it on the 1st service.Mine only seemed to do it on the last 20-15 mph before stopping.After the service,could I make it do it again?Could I buggery.Went out on it the other day and it juddered everywhere.
Expect some sort of fix/recall soon...........or not!

Oh,and the bike deffo needs the comfort screen as standard.100mph cruising and the wind blast is trying to rip my helmet off.Just waiting for mine to turn up at Italia.

[Edited on 15-11-2003 by keefyboy]
Old 17-Nov-2003, 14:34
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Ian, looks like you've been Stada'd!!!
Everything you say was just so similar to what I experienced on my first test ride even down to getting back on my 996 and feeling like I was hugging the front tyre, although I put it more like I was getting on a mini-moto!
I've got comfort screen which is a big improvement even for me at 6' 1 and a bit. As for panniers, fully loaded or empty I've never experienced as much as a wobble. The booklet states that you are not recommended to exceed 120km/h when fitted, but alas I never read this 'til much later having done a steady 80-95mph on a weekend away, without mishap.

Seems to me that you've all but convinced yourself!

PS My dealer still has red ex-demo with £6k price tag---go on you know it makes sense!

PPS Brake judder - I initially thought that it was just that brakes hadn't bedded themselves in and to be fair I tend to use gearbox to provide a lot of braking rather than front stopper, but after best part of 3k miles it's still there, but not that bad that I can't put up with it!

[Edited on 17-11-2003 by luckywhiteheather]
Old 16-Jan-2004, 18:59
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
i need to get off my backside and go and sort this out really, - do you think it is still too early to sell the 916 for the right money?

I have had "travellers" parked up 500 yards from my house so have not dared even open the garage for the last month.
Old 17-Jan-2004, 07:20
WSB Hero

Aargh,decisions,decisions!
Bit of a dilema there mate.Do you sell the 916 now and lose out on a good price?
Or hold on for the warmer weather and get a better price?
Tough call.
There are a few s/h Multistrada's for sale at the mo,one in the comic and two on www.multistrada.net.Trouble is,they will get snapped up too,when the weather cheers up.
The choice,as they say,is yours!
I'm not being very helpful,am I?!?!
Old 19-Jan-2004, 16:40
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
As too panniers bringing on a weave, thought I would answer this since I have more experience than most of riding a Ducati with panniers.
The manual for the ST4S states that panniers shouldn't be used at over 120kph-really! Well I have had an indicated 146mph on mine 2 up, bolt upright (you try getting down with my tankbag) and I have to say at that speed it did weave a bit-mainly in and out of the traffic (This was on the Italian A1 2 years ago) Last year with Jo on the back we clocked 140 once and over 130 loads of times with no weave at all-I would guess the Multistrada would be similar.

John
Old 21-Jan-2004, 21:34

Mood: variable
Ian there are a couple for of Multistradas on e-bay just now. One in Norfolk, the silver one is in MCN I think and a red one down your end of the country as well.

To far to travell or I would have a look myself.

When to sell is always a problem.
Old 22-Jan-2004, 00:02
Ducati Corse

Ian ..

.. you don't want one of those. You want a nice VFR you do m