Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Mar-2009, 17:55
Big Twin

Mood: is it cos i is a bricklayer
clutch M/C actuating pins

hi all-- i have a 91 750 engine with a dry clutch that i put into my 600ss frame--
the engine itself is faultless now i have sorted out the fuelling issues-- i have one issue outstanding that is the clutch
what i was experiencing is a very sharp clutch it was either in or out, no between- i have upgraded the slave seal to a 748/916 vee type seal and cured the weepy seal problem, i have thourghly cleaned all the plates etc checked stack hights blah de blah renewed the springs etc so i am confident that the clutch is sound but still a very sharp clutch-
now following on from a conversation with PeteB about the intricacies of actuating pin lengths i thought i would have a play-what i have done is backed the adjusting screw out thats in the lever and replaced the clutch master cylinder actuating pin with a longer version , a brake master cylinder actuating pin- ( the clutch pin is 23mm the brake pin is 26mm) i am using the original clutch master cylinder from the 600 engine and now with the longer pin i have a much smoother clutch -- because i used the longer pin i was expecting some clutch slip but there is nothing, it seems to be perfect---
now then what i would like to know is has anyone got an original 750sport or even a 750paso with the dry clutch slave in clutch cover and let me know the length of the actuating pin please?
why would a longer pin have such an effect on the operation of the clutch?
would i be causing any due wear and tear on the master cylinder seals using a longer actuating pin?
would an early dry clutch M/C be different to the later wet clutch M/C?

Last edited by monstermob 998 : 18-Mar-2009 at 18:05.
Old 18-Mar-2009, 21:14
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Dave its sounds like you have altered the rate of change, the lever pivots around the arc, just like a swingarm around its pivot and I know from taking measurements that a Cantilever swing arm has a rising rate curve. The same should apply to the lever and maybe you have moved its position in the curve by way of fitting the longer pin

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 18-Mar-2009, 23:24
Big Twin

Mood: is it cos i is a bricklayer
i can sort of understand the geometry of it kev- what i cant grasp is how much difference it has made!!!