Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Jun-2009, 18:33
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
Track day wet grip

I'm a bit curious about how modern radial tyres behave in the wet at track days. I've got Dablos currently fitted on the 888 with lots of tread left but have never ridden the bike on wet roads. Trouble is that also means I've never actually ridden any radial shod bike in the wet (my RG500 has crossplies). I know from experience that my reactions cope OK with the back stepping out on crosspiles but worry a bit that my reaction to chopping the throttle would produce a high side on a wet track. Is that the case as it is (apparently) in the dry? I'm interested to know what sort of feedback you get just in case I happen to do a trackday in the near future and we get some rain :-(

Keith
Old 10-Jun-2009, 18:41
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Diablos are good in the wet and tend to be very progressive as long as you're not too mental.

Anyway, IT'S NOT GOING TO BE WET!!!

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 10-Jun-2009, 18:58
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Cadwell can be a bit slippery in places, especially round the mountain part of the circuit under the trees.

Go on the track walk with WJB as he'll explain it all to you!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 10-Jun-2009, 19:02
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Diablo's are good enough for 2.05 in the wet at Cadwell with only 61bhp

Andy
Old 10-Jun-2009, 21:44
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
Quote:
Originally Posted by andys 900ss
Diablo's are good enough for 2.05 in the wet at Cadwell with only 61bhp

Andy

Trouble is, to get that fast in the wet you need to be at the limits of grip. I'm sure that to get that fast that you generally have to end up exceeding the limits at some point which I would rather avoid :-) I don't have a set of track day fairings so I'd much rather keep a little bit in reserve! If the feedback from the tyre is good as Jools suggest then I'm sure I will be fine.

Fingers crossed its dry and I don't get to experience a wet track though I appreciate that it would be a good learning experience on the Ducati. I remember clearly the last wet track day I did at Cadwell. There was a small river across the start/finish straight on a drying track that I hit when WOT on the RG. I must have been banked slightly as the rear stepped out at what must have been >100 mph and the resultant moment nearly resulted in soiled leathers. The guy behind said he was thinking how impressive it looked just before he did the same thing!

Keith