Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Nov-2006, 10:12
Bevel Head

1098 Performance ?

Just looked at the 1098 owners manual (PDF FORMAT) from the Ducati.com website...

Says;

154hp not 160 as reported or stated on main superbike description.
116nm (85.6ft/lbs) torque not 90ft/lbs

Also,the weight is stated at;
173kg (base model)
171kg (s model) but these are without fuel,oil,water and battery.

188kg (base model) without fuel
186kg (S model) without fuel.

This is 15kg difference from "dry" to "semi-dry" weight.Whilst the discrepency in power isn't huge,the main site is misleading people and making sales on the back of it.

So, there's some contradiction on there own website and no doubt some artistic licence or rounding up of figures to make more appeal of the bike.

Why don't they just tell the real truth when they release a bike to the press.
Old 28-Nov-2006, 10:35
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The weight is quoted "dry" as a comparison to the Japs. They've always quoted a dry weight.
Not sure about the hp, but there are several standards by which it can be measured, PS and DIN for instance. Again both will give different numbers.

It'll go like stink though, and the ultimate dyno, your ass, will more than confirm that
Old 28-Nov-2006, 10:36
Big Twin

The Japs have been doing it 4 years..
Old 28-Nov-2006, 10:51
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly
The weight is quoted "dry" as a comparison to the Japs. They've always quoted a dry weight.
Not sure about the hp, but there are several standards by which it can be measured, PS and DIN for instance. Again both will give different numbers.

It'll go like stink though, and the ultimate dyno, your ass, will more than confirm that

As,regard the power,without getting hung up on it,the Ducati site does actually quote in "hp" on both occasions,not DIN,PS,ETC.Same applies to the torque,both are using the same standards.....Two sets of figures.
Old 28-Nov-2006, 11:40

There is a massive pre-occupation in the motorcycle press with bhp - a completely pointless pre-ocupation which has successfully been passed on to some owners, potential buyers.

Since there are but a handful of people in the known universe for whom the maximum performance is attainable on a track, it is a complete irrelevance to how the bike will perform in our hands. The biggest hindrance to me going any quicker now on my wee 749R is me - nothing else. My pal rides an R1 - no matter how often its pointed out to him that he can't use the power available, he still pours over reports spelling out that the latest sukiwaka is just up on power versus last year. Yet I'm still waiting on him coming past...All I know is the 1098 will be a whole lot more powerful than what I have - but could I use it, do I need it, if I'm honest ? I just hope as a Ducati lover that the bike is a huge commercial success with reliability to finally shut up the British motorcycle press who still can't stop throwing in lines like , '... if you can live with the possible unreliability factor'
Old 28-Nov-2006, 11:51
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i agree. one of the reason i changed from my 916 was due to its lack of power/speed. i was constantly getting blown away by il4's even 600's on the straights as it only had 107 at the back wheel. my 999 now has 147 and can happily keep up or beat with the vast majoirty of il4's on track especially if you can exit faster. as for the road its just frighteningly fast tbh and anyone that thinks they need any more will not be long for this world.
Old 28-Nov-2006, 12:00
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
There's some interesting stuff in the owners manuals.

As for no one but track riding gods can use 160, 180 or 200BHP or whatever I'm not so sure, no special skill is required in a straight line, the throttle can be on the stop no problem its just the corners that require the skill

Surfing the torque on a big V twin is what Ducatis are all about for me, if I want to wring a bike up to red line in every gear I'll get another IL 4 thank you.

Ray.
Old 28-Nov-2006, 12:57
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
So quoted power looks to be approx 10% up on the 999 which is no great surprise given CC has increased by the same amount.

Quoted dry weight of 999 was 186kg's, so 1098's a fair chunk less, but not the massive step forward being touted in the bike press.
Old 28-Nov-2006, 13:10
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996

This is 15kg difference from "dry" to "semi-dry" weight.Whilst the discrepency in power isn't huge,the main site is misleading people and making sales on the back of it.

So, there's some contradiction on there own website and no doubt some artistic licence or rounding up of figures to make more appeal of the bike.

Why don't they just tell the real truth when they release a bike to the press.

Is it important? It's not like most people here or anywhere else are likely to fully exploit half of that let alone the "full" 154 or 160-ish bhp.

Let the dyno and weigh scales do the talking when the bike becomes available.
Old 28-Nov-2006, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieducati
i agree. one of the reason i changed from my 916 was due to its lack of power/speed. i was constantly getting blown away by il4's even 600's on the straights as it only had 107 at the back wheel. my 999 now has 147 and can happily keep up or beat with the vast majoirty of il4's on track especially if you can exit faster. as for the road its just frighteningly fast tbh and anyone that thinks they need any more will not be long for this world.

Exactly. The great thing about the V-twin engine is the power is so much more useable than an IL4. So those of us who aren't riding Gods can be just as quick as a more powerful litre bike. My ST4S had easily enough useable power to pass some litre bikes on a recent track day becuase I had the confidence in the power delivery to really use it all. It seems the immense power of the IL4's are abit intimidating, I know I'd be more worried about throttle opening on one of those exiting a corner.

So the 1098 is playing the horsepower game a little bit more but I don't think any of us will complain too much. Disregarding the debate over looks, I think that this bike is going to be phenominal to ride on both on road and track.

I can't wait to get my hands on one, even though I know I won't be the next WSB champ. But I believe you can get alot more out of riding one of these than the litre bikes, consequently making it a more satisfying experience. IMHO.