Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jan-2004, 15:34

Chipped or not?

Hi

I've been reading this forum for a short time and have just bought myself a 748Bip after chatting to one of the members here (Paulk).

It's a 2000 (red!) with 45mm Termi's. Now I'm completely new to Ducatis (previously had a recently stolen R6 ) and I'm just getting used to the differences.

My question is, as the Termis came on the bike when I picked it up - how would I know if it's been chipped or not? The power delivery 'seems' OK but then the only thing I've got to compare it to is a 600ss and 750ss of mates that I haven't really ridden properly. Any suggestions?

Cheers
Old 21-Jan-2004, 15:58
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
I'm not exactly a techie pro on this stuff but if you take a look at the ECU under the seat you should be able to see if the chip seal has been tampered with. If it hasn't then the original chip is in there. If it's been removed then you can open the cover and take a look at the chip to see what make it is.
Old 21-Jan-2004, 15:58
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello red748,

First off welcome . . I also have a 748Bip and in the past have had to replace the chip with the standard one. From my point of view you notice straight away as the bike kept coughing and spluttering when I opened it up. With a few back fires to wake you up. Don't quote me on this but I would say the bike would not run as smooth if the standard pipe chip was running with termi's on. Barring that the chip is installed in the ECU under the seat, normally with a sticker over the round hole, see if the sticker has been removed at some stage,

Hope this was of some help.

Good luck

TopiToo
Old 23-Jan-2004, 10:48
888 at Last !!!

The sticker may be completely intact and still have a different chip. The stickers get replaced on the CPU.

To check if your chip has been changed:
1. Open up the seat unit
2. Locate the silver CPU box attached to the subframe where the pillion would sit
3. Check the silver sticker on the top, it should be completely covering a rubber cirlcular bung.
4. Peel off the silver sticker (I know it says don't remove) take off the bung
5. The chip is below and should have a number on it
6. Post the number on the board and someone will tell you what type it is

oh and then 7. reverse the above and buy a new sticker (or duck tape)