Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 23-Mar-2011, 21:32
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Computer virus

Any computer buffs left on here.

My pc seems to have picked up a virus, again.
It is the type where it keeps popping up XP Security Centre alerts telling me my computer is infected with just about eveything. The symbol is a shield which is sitting at the bottom RH corner of the screen.
I think it is trying to force me to buy some software.

I have McAfee and am currently running a scan but it is picking up nothing.

Help please!
Old 23-Mar-2011, 21:49
Mille

Mood: Done with Diesels
My wife had the same thing on her PC last week. The easiest solution seems to be to disable your internet connection and restore to the last good set point. Then reconnect and update your virus signature database and then run a full scan just to be safe
Old 24-Mar-2011, 00:33
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
If you can download the free version from each of these two links to a USB stick from a clean computer

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If you dont have access to a clean computer just try to download them from the infected computer. If on you infected computer you can either run/install straight from the download or save them somewhere to run/install later.
Either way run/install the superantispyware first, just follow the install wizard and accept the defaults except maybe send results back to them tick box. When installed it will ask you to update to the latest virus definitions, do that. Then run a FULL scan. It will take a while depending on how much data you have on your hard drive. When completed you should see a list of the infections it found, again follow the wizard and it will remove them for you. It will then ask you to reboot. Make sure you do that.
Then run/install the mailwarebytes, same as above instructions and reboot. You should be clean by now.
The reason for downloading the set-up files from a clean computer is because sometimes the virus hyjacks your browser and stops you going to some sites or redirects them.
Let me know how you get on because if the steps above do not work its because its disables some installer service's and updates/virus detection software so you may have to boot to safe mode which I can help with. But I've seen the one your talking about a few times and its faily easy to clean.

Craig
Old 24-Mar-2011, 10:10
Ducati Meccanica

Craig,

Thanks for your help but I have only just seen your reply, drat.
I downloaded a "free" Spyware program and ran this on a full scan and it detected two viruses. It was then I discovered that it was not so Free as I had to buy it to actually remove the viruses.

By this time it had become really infected and I was finding it hard to run a browser or any application.

I decided to do a recovery as a last measure as this is what I had successfully done before. I tried this but was enable to. Being a HP computer it has its own recovery from a partition on the hard drive. I got to the last stage after setting up keyboard languages ect and it then just sat there with the hourglass running and the hard disc running. I left it for about 30mins last night but by then it was about 1am and time for my bed so I switched it off.
I switched it on again this morning and it came to the same screen. I left it for about 45mins and again no change.
I'm not sure this problem is anything to do with the virus?
Old 24-Mar-2011, 11:32
Ducati Meccanica

Trouble with virus's is they also head straight for the system restore area as well. Normaly the windows restore location rather than the manufacture restore partition but they will get in there as well.
I think your right though this is just another problem, if the hour glass is still going and you have to switch off when you turn on again press F8 contiunsly at start-up to try and boot into safe mode, this boots with the minimal drivers and services and may allow you to repair/restore your laptop.

Craig
Old 24-Mar-2011, 12:11
Ducati Meccanica

Thanks Craig.

It's a desktop but makes no difference.
The thing is several years old and due for replacement so I'm going to have one last go at it and then replace it.
Old 24-Mar-2011, 14:11
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I have some useful disks that will boot the machine but not from your hard disk and you will be able to do a system restore from there. Drop me a note if you want to pop over and grab a copy, you know where I am

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 25-Mar-2011, 19:40
Ducati Meccanica

Thanks Ant I may well do that if only so I can get it booted up to get some data (photos) off it.

Pretty much decided to get a new pc. I know desktops have fallen out of favour against laptops but I'm going to stick to a desktop.
Anybody recomend an off the shelf unit?
If not that at least what is the best processor to go for?
Old 25-Mar-2011, 20:04
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
If as a last resort you have to put a new hardrive in.
Once it is in & working with a new antivirus software ( i use the free AVG one, works well) get an external hard drive case, put your old one in it, scan it for virus's etc & then just down load your pics etc to your new hard drive.

Chris
Old 25-Mar-2011, 22:07
Ducati Meccanica

The disc's that Ant has offered you will boot to a PE envioment, just basicly boots to an operating system using the system memory rather than the hard drive. But what it will allow you to do is copy stuff from your hard disk to a USB drive safely. ( but bear in mind to scan that before you put them back onto a new computer ) I'm sure Ant can explain it if you get the discs.

Craig

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit