Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Nov-2006, 13:38
Bevel Head

The point of this thread is not whinging about losing 6bhp or so and some ft/lb of torque and weight issuses, that I, or probablly most of us,carn't use,thats' a separate thread for the alpha-males to pontificate about.

The simple fact is, Ducati's own website has discrepencies that can be mis-construde by people to attain sales.Only exacebated by the media,who naturaly want sensational headlines.

The actual facts are not clear or at best,a little ambiguous.
Old 28-Nov-2006, 13:42
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996
The point of this thread is not whinging about losing 6bhp or so and some ft/lb of torque and weight issuses, that I, or probablly most of us,carn't use,thats' a separate thread for the alhpa-males to pontificate about.

The simple fact is, Ducati's own website has discrepencies that can be mis-construde by people to attain sales.Only exacebated by the media,who naturaly want sensational headlines.

The actual facts are not clear or at best,a little ambiguous.

It's actually Ducati being a victim of their own honesty IMO.

They always used to quote wet weight figures and rear wheel horsepower numbers and this lost them lots of sales to the IL4 brigade because their bikes were lighter and more powerful.

Ducati have finally decided to fall into line so as not to damage their sales as much, and quote the dry weight and crank HP. Even though it says HP - it can still be measured in different ways and the only way you will know is if it describes which one it does. There's a difference.

So no, I don't think Ducati are trying ti deceive anyone. They are simply trying to align their specs with the figures quoted by their rivals so as not to keep losing sales over it.

A move that I applaud. If Ducati sell more bikes and have a healthy business then we have a marquee that continues and everyone wins in the long run.
Old 28-Nov-2006, 13:55
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by testastretta
There is a massive pre-occupation in the motorcycle press with bhp - a completely pointless pre-ocupation which has successfully been passed on to some owners, potential buyers.

Since there are but a handful of people in the known universe for whom the maximum performance is attainable on a track, it is a complete irrelevance to how the bike will perform in our hands. The biggest hindrance to me going any quicker now on my wee 749R is me - nothing else. My pal rides an R1 - no matter how often its pointed out to him that he can't use the power available, he still pours over reports spelling out that the latest sukiwaka is just up on power versus last year. Yet I'm still waiting on him coming past...All I know is the 1098 will be a whole lot more powerful than what I have - but could I use it, do I need it, if I'm honest ? I just hope as a Ducati lover that the bike is a huge commercial success with reliability to finally shut up the British motorcycle press who still can't stop throwing in lines like , '... if you can live with the possible unreliability factor'

Great post Mister!

Personally I ride a torque curve and Ducati pruduce bikes with great torque curves.

My wee 800cc S2R has a steady 40lbft almost across the whole rev range and its beautiful to ride. My 749 rises from 40-62 ish lbft and its great too. Plenty fast for the road.

No point in having a high peak figure if not a lot happens on the way up there, only to get to the peak figure and have to change gear. Just garbage IMHO. Seem to remember one of the bike mags "detuning" an R6 to give less peak power and more midrange and everyone who rode it preferred it. The numbers game is for fools .

Hope the new bike is a success, it looks good, though I still prefer the 2004 999/749 models for looks.
Old 28-Nov-2006, 14:45
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 749er
My wee 800cc S2R has a steady 40lbft almost across the whole rev range and its beautiful to ride. .

Is that all? That's a bit weedy. My 800ss road bike is producing 55-57lb-ft on two different dynos. Same engine albeit tweaked.
Old 28-Nov-2006, 16:07
Bevel Head

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
Is that all? That's a bit weedy. My 800ss road bike is producing 55-57lb-ft on two different dynos. Same engine albeit tweaked.

Maybe thats all that 749er needs for the road!

Maybe he can exploit all that power....after all,as you said "is it that important"!
Old 28-Nov-2006, 17:20
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
So BHP stands for brouchure horse power then.....................
Old 28-Nov-2006, 17:34
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd

its about 55lbft peak at the crank, but is above 40lbft through pretty much the whole rev range
Old 28-Nov-2006, 17:37
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996
Maybe thats all that 749er needs for the road!

Maybe he can exploit all that power....after all,as you said "is it that important"!

sounds like a challenge but we all know its the rider not the bike.

I know quite a few people on here who would sprint away from me on a 620 regardless of what I was on
Old 28-Nov-2006, 19:37
Ducati Corse

Quote:
its about 55lbft peak at the crank, but is above 40lbft through pretty much the whole rev range

Now that is odd - mine is giving the 55+ calculated at the rear wheel. Interesting nonetheless.

2 cylinders are all you need but 3 is an excellent compromise
www.twpd.co.uk
www.twpdracing.com

Last edited by twpd : 28-Nov-2006 at 19:41.
Old 28-Nov-2006, 19:42
Ducati Corse

Quote:
sounds like a challenge but we all know its the rider not the bike.

I know quite a few people on here who would sprint away from me on a 620 regardless of what I was on

You're welcome to try

2 cylinders are all you need but 3 is an excellent compromise
www.twpd.co.uk
www.twpdracing.com