Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Jan-2004, 08:34
500SD

Mood: wobbly !!!
Vague brakes Help

Can you help ! My front brakes feel not as sharp as they used to. The pads are still ok even though the bike has done 11k.
I was wondering the following:-

Even though the pads are ok do they absorb stuff like wax and dirt etc, and changing them would make the difference.

On previous bikes I have had to clean and lubricate the caliper pistons.
If so clean with what, lubricate with what.

Any other sugestions !

Thanks R-L
Old 20-Jan-2004, 08:42
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
if they are original pads i would definitely change them for some double H pads before you look at anything else. should notice a marked difference.
Old 20-Jan-2004, 10:07
Dibble

but Weeksy Kev only weighs 4 stone wringing wet so his hardly have to do any work .. at the last Newlands Corner meet we had to tether him to a table so hi didnt get blown away ....

He makes a great windsoc though as you just judge his angle and direction of lean ....!!!!

Old 20-Jan-2004, 12:00
500SD

I normaly find that slidding the bodywork down the track stops the bike well and saves on brake pads !!!!
Thought I would add this before the Pilsbury Dough Boy thought of it.

Anyway what about me brakes then. Do I take it that i need new pads.
If so these Double H things are they any better than the standard Duc Ones.
Do they work well from cold etc.

Regards R-L

ps Dibble I beleive someone else will be wringing wet on Thursday ! And I will be there to see. ENJOY !!!!!!!!!
Old 20-Jan-2004, 20:48
Montjuic

Mood: Deeply Grooved....
R-L,

If there has been a noticeable drop in stopping performance and you are still generating the required clamp force at the caliper (check very carefully that you can ease the pads away from the disc friction face a couple of mm and that the pistons move back into the caliper housing - apply the brake - does it clamp up again very easily?) and your pads are still within their servicable limits and your discs still look pretty much like they always have, then you have probably contaminated your pads. I am assuming here that you have not well and truly 'cooked' your brakes.

The original pads are sintered metal construction and as such, they are much less tolerant to contamination by oil, wax etc. than conventional organic pads. Maybe it was a bit of over zealous lubing/spraying of the surrounding parts?

A good check would be to replace the pads and see what happens - I have found the original spec pads to be generally OK. I would use another OEM set before going for something a bit more 'exotic' (read, higher, more consistent friction value, but less pad and disc life). Caution here - when your discs warp (and they surely will, because they all do), then, if you want to get the discs replaced under warranty, you had better make sure that the Duc dealer does not spot that you have had got any pads fitted that are not OEM spec.

Finally, do not lube the pistons - they do not need anything more than the lubrication provided by the brake fluid.

Need any more help - drop me a mail

Cheers, Chris.
Old 20-Jan-2004, 21:04
500SD

Well i took out the pads this evening and they look as if there is loads left on them, but very smooth even polished finish.
Whats been nagging me is that i do regulary was the brakes and surrounding area with jizzer and them use a wash/wax detergent. do you think this has an adverse effect.
With these pads only half warn after 11k + miles it seems prudent to stick with the origanal. Is this what you think.
Cheers Kev
Old 21-Jan-2004, 12:45
Montjuic

Mood: Deeply Grooved....
Sintered pads are less succeptible to 'glazing', but this can occur if you consistently brake very lightly. You can usually overcome this by going out and giving the brake some serious work to do. If glazing was the problem, then your brake should be back to normal after a good run.

I use detergent for cleaning, but no wax additives - I have never had a problem other than occasionally a small drop in performance resulting from a bit of overspray of WD40 - this is soon cleared though.

If you have checked everything else, I would go for a new set of OEM spec pads. If this does not fix it, then you still have the old ones to put back in whilst you are looking for other causes.

Can you post a picture of the pads/discs?

Cheers, Chris.
Old 21-Jan-2004, 13:03
Mille

Mood: Long on Duke's...so happy
11.5k must be some sort of record.......

A 998 Bip has the four pad braking set up same as my S (I think), which I reckon works great as OE kit.

You should try changing for OE kit first, but it's not cheap with 4 new pads to buy. Having said that, it's all very well to go like stink, but if you can't stop..........
Old 21-Jan-2004, 14:07
500SD

Right Ill take a photo them. What about if i rough up the polished faces of the pads.
Thanks for your input
Kev
Old 21-Jan-2004, 14:32
Dibble

buy some new ones you tight git ....