Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Feb-2004, 08:20

Engine Mods

Has anybody fitted hi-comp pistons to there 996. Im thinking of dropping a set in as i could do with a bit of extra power this year. Was thinking about a set of cams but i have been advised that hi comp pistons would be a better place to start. If anyone has fiited them where did you get them from....

Cheers
Ivan
Old 27-Feb-2004, 09:59
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
I use JE pistons but they don't appear to list a 996 item. TTS are the UK importers.

The obvious place for them would be Ducati but they'd cost.
You could talk to Alan at AJ Racing and I'm sure Kamna in Germany do them.

One thing to watch out for is the piston weight. it'll be pretty negliable because you're not going over size but if the new ones are significantly heavier or lighter, you could end up with balance problems.

Removing the base gasket would also = more compression. You'd have to check valve and squish, but could be a cheaper way of getting the same result.
Old 27-Feb-2004, 12:08
Big Twin

I was told its not really worth doing on its own, better to save the cash til you can afford the pistons, rods and cams, as well as balancing/lightening the crank and gasflowing and porting - looking at around 2.5K, I'm waiting for the warranty to run out on mine, then will be taking it to AJR, he reckons I'm looking at around 150 hp at the wheel, revving to 11500