Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Mar-2006, 16:40

Scottish weather murders MTS!!

Hi
I'm afraid the Scottish weather has taken it's toll on my MTS engine!
The heads and cylinders have started to peel.What ,if anything ,can be done to remedy this?
Can I recoat them ?Or strip them back and just protect them?
Cheers
Old 24-Mar-2006, 18:31
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Multistrada peeling Engine Covers

How old is your bike? Is it still under warranty? In either case I believe that Ducati should sort this problem out for you. This is quite a common problem with the Numpty and I hope you can get the bike sorted sooon.
Old 24-Mar-2006, 18:57

Hi
It is a 2003 with about 8000 miles on it.
Have you had the same prob?
Old 24-Mar-2006, 19:11
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Hi Urga,
No, I didn't have this problem with my Multi. which was also a 2003 model. I sold it at the end of 2005. I do know, however that there has been a high incidence of peeling crankcases.
When my ST3 was being serviced at Italia Moto at Lincoln, one of the lads was fitting new crankcases to a 2003 model because of peeling paintwork.
If I were you I would email Ducati UK and get them to sort this out for you. This shouldn't happen on a 8000 mile 2003 bike.
Old 27-Mar-2006, 17:50
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by ariel
When my ST3 was being serviced at Italia Moto at Lincoln, one of the lads was fitting new crankcases to a 2003 model because of peeling paintwork.
That would probably be mine then!
Yep,my Multi had new crankcases and front cylinder head under warranty.
Dunno what Ducati are painting the cases with these days but it does´nt seem to last long.
Old 06-May-2006, 07:47
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Just a quick update.
Gave the bike a good clean the other day and found big lumps of paint falling off it again.
Now where is that silver heat resisting paint?
Old 06-May-2006, 10:09
Big Twin

Mine started peeling underneath when the bike was only a few months old. I used to clean the bike top to bottom after every ride out and was shocked how quickly it deteriotated. The multi was not subjected to anything any of my previous bikes had not been and yet none of them had such problems.

As the bike neared 2 years old I wondered if I should get them sorted before the warranty expired, I never bothered in the end as maybe foolishly I didnt want the engine pulling apart as I was happy with how it ran and everything else on the bike. Maybe I should have had them done as when cleaning the multi a couple of days ago I notice the paint was starting to come away on top of the cases near the rear cylinder.

Its seems to affect just about every multi (in the uk at least) and is not really good enough. With no fairing to protect the engine it is inevitable that the front tyre throws anything off the road onto the lower engine. Even after a short ride the lower casing is caked with all sorts of crap, but surely a more resilient finish is available? The fact the paint is now peeling higher up where the engine remains fairly clean show the paint is not up to the job.

I plan on keeping the Multi for a good while yet but dread to think what it will look like in another 2 years.
Old 06-May-2006, 10:15
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

My ST4 has the same problem around the sump, I just thought it was unlucky but now I am tempted to do something about it.