Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 04-Apr-2006, 18:39
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
looks too much like a honda fireblade - yukkk! prefer if it looked more like the seidici myself or...original but attractive.
Old 04-Apr-2006, 18:52
500SD

Mood: wobbly !!!
As long as it does'nt have an oil leak or slipping clutch Ill have one
Old 04-Apr-2006, 20:53
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Second one is way too Japanese. Not liking them at all.

Would prefer the GP look, but it's a bit bulbous.
Old 04-Apr-2006, 21:24
Mille

I liked both examples, but think they've shoved the 916/999 into one mould. Whereas they should be looking further forward and re-inventing themselves...
Old 04-Apr-2006, 21:38
Mille

They are probably looking to get the 916 lovers back. I think they are worried at the moment. The last time they tried to re-invent them selves they brought out the 999 and it hasn't sold much. Its all a gamble and they will never please everyone. Personally I like the 916 and the 999. I think the MV was Ducatis replacement 916 but the designer took it with him so they had a hard job on to beat that. If my 999 went to the great scrapyard in the sky I have no doubt I would be buying what ever comes next. Be it a 916 looking bike or a GP looking beast. It will still look better than some this weeks new style Jap thing.
Old 04-Apr-2006, 23:44
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
OK, well we can all see its a compooter generated thingy like the other weeks compooter generated thingy.

On the front cover we had a bike with a silver front wheel with a knackered track-used old Michelin boot, black Ohlins forks (off of a 999R Xerox) and a black Gp front fender. There was also a 999 headlight (thought they were meant to be ugly!!! ) and some Alice graphics.

Then on the inside cover it was gold forks (which by the way, the top of the fork was silver and the bottom was gold and they didn't line up!!! ), a red front fender (Corse type) with a black wheel and totally different new tyres and at the rear a pukka GP swingarm with a slick tyre.
Then we had some different graphics, 999 mirrors kinda blobbed on and a 999 exhaust stuck in there!?!?!

This week we have a 999R with the seat unit painted red, some 916 style pipes glued underneath and a carbon fairing at the RHS footpeg that fades to red as you travel further up the fairing.
Next we have some 916 style headlights kinda moulded into a 999R fairing with the 916 style air intakes under the lights (way too small to even be anywhere near efficient!!) and some GP style fairing cutouts in the lower fairing.
To finish off the picture we have a single sided swinger, again off of a 916 and neither front or rear wheels match in style! Ducati would NEVER EVER EVER do that!

I have to take my hat off to MCN here, I wish I could use me compooter that way!

I've got to ask, is anyone buying into this picture or am I right in saying it's a very skilled Emap designer using photshop to its full potential???

If there IS a new bike coming in '07 or '08 (and the official channels deny this!!) I doubt it will look anything like these at all!

Just my opinion!

Mart
Old 05-Apr-2006, 03:31
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Looks like a complete load of crap to me.

MCN ******** again
Old 05-Apr-2006, 10:40
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
Ducati are getting busy again it would seem. Supermotard to go into production, Desmosidici race rep soon and a road going version for about 15k and now this.
Seeing as they are now owned by the Italians again, where are they getting all the dosh.
However is this image the finaladmisssion that Terreblanche made a mistake.
They should have kept Tambo and put a V twin in the MV!
Otherwise it has got some nice touches. The front lights are a little Fireblade but the sides, frame colour and rear end are nice. Are those real marchesini wheels?
Old 05-Apr-2006, 13:23
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by TORTUGA
... I think the MV was Ducatis replacement 916 but the designer took it with him so they had a hard job on to beat that.

Totally hit the nail on the head Tortuga.

I think it would be a disaster if the new Duke (whenever it comes out) looks like the MCN mock-up. To me it looks like one of those joke "photo-fits" where they put Jimmy Hill's chin, Ricky Tomlinson's nose, Marty Feldman's eyes and wotsisname Collini's forehead together.

Trying to merge a bit of 996 for the traditionalists and a bit of 999 together has resulted in a total mish-mash. Much as I love the 748-998 series, I think Ducati have to move on. There is always going to be a price premium against the Japanese opposition, and to attract a similar influx of buyers as the 916, the new model has to have the looks as well as competitive performance.

The 999 shape (particularly in track trim) has really grown on me, and I think a development of the aesthetics of that shape would be a way forward (there was a post on some Dutchman or German's "custom" 999 a few months ago, and that was absolutely gorgeous...maybe they should get him on the design team).
Old 05-Apr-2006, 15:25
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
The 999

Does anyone else get tired of all the crap that is written in the bike press about how ugly the 999 is? No wonder these terrific bikes are not selling.
The latest comments have been made by Richard Hammond in this week's MCN.He writes "If bike sales get worse Ducati might not get round to replacing the 999 with something prettier - but that's not hard, the van delivering it is better looking!"
I wonder why he rides one of those really ugly BMW's? Why are so many "fashion conscious people" rushing out to by these boxer twins? I own one myself but I did buy it in the 1970's. I believe that in those days it had a lot more going for it.
Finally I find it hard to understand why so many contributors to this board seem to be dissatisfied with their lovely Ducati twin engined bikes and want to go over to the V four engine configuration. I can see that this would make sense on a race track but for road use I prefer my Desmo twin every time.