Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Feb-2006, 00:00
Bevel Head

service

i need some advise im looking at servicing my 748 but not sure where to get it done im in cambridge area and i have a budget of 500 quid but the bike is at 17 k and most places are saying the valves will need doing i have been to st neots ducati but was quoted over 1000 quid any one else no of any good places that can help me cheers
Old 03-Feb-2006, 00:12
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
No idea about Cambridge area. Many peeps on the board travel from far and wide up to cornerspeed in Kirkby in Ashfield on the outskirts of Notts.

Give them a ring...

www.cornerspeed.co.uk

Lx
Old 03-Feb-2006, 00:13
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
When was the bike last serviced? The first thing is to determine if it needs an annual (6000 mile) service, or a 2 year (12000mile) service.
the service will be time dependant as well as /or mileage.
The valves should be checked whatever service is done. The main difference is that the big service encompasses more chassis work. Fork service, fluids etc as well as timing belts.
Prices vary massively depending on what service is required and whether or not the extras are added on afterwards. Quoting the basics but then adding on for valve shimming for instance will increase tha cost quite a bit.
Who ever you try, get a best/worst case scenario and get a reassurance it'll finish somewhere between them.
Also, specifically ask that the cams be pulled so the rockers can be inspected. Hopefully, they'll be good but you will need a little more in the budget if any are at fault i'm afraid
Old 03-Feb-2006, 00:21
Bevel Head

it was last done at carl harrisons in diss

belts where done but nothing was said about valves the charge at 10k miles was 348quid i think this place maybe the old chris clarks???

thanks for the replys tho
Old 03-Feb-2006, 07:47
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul748bp
it was last done at carl harrisons in diss

belts where done but nothing was said about valves the charge at 10k miles was 348quid i think this place maybe the old chris clarks???

thanks for the replys tho
He's a good lad is Carl,you could do a lot worse than take it back there again.Yep,he's ex Chris Sharks but dont hold that against him.
Old 04-Feb-2006, 23:30
Mille

Mood: dooM
I would recommend Dave Woods in Aylesbury (www.davewoodracing.com). Just had my 748 in for the 18k mile service. Clutch plates + basket needed doing, plus 2 rockers + valve clearances. Bill was around a grand, but with the clutch and rockers, it was always going to cost.

The bike is transformed now.