Old 14-Sep-2004, 15:10
Big Twin

Nice cheap 999R anyone

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...96325 68&rd=1
Old 14-Sep-2004, 15:46
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
...'viewings not neccesary...'?? dont care if its new, for that cash I would want to check EVERYTHING out first.
Old 14-Sep-2004, 18:29
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Yeah, that looks genuine!!!
Old 15-Sep-2004, 09:42
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Hey.....got one just like that in my office to........ you know one very carefull owner and all that !!
Old 15-Sep-2004, 10:32
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Well it may be genuine, but you have to wonder about the arrogance of some people don't you? I quote:

"WITH REGARDS TO VIEWING, PLEASE LET ME REITERATE THE BIKE IS BRAND NEW UNUSED CONDITION THEREFORE NOT REQUIRING PRE-BID VIEWS".

Yeah right...and they expect somebody to bid on the bike upwards of the £12,500 starting bid. The reserve is not met so you have to wonder what the real winning bid would be? Perhaps several thousand over that - £15-16K perhaps?

So, let's get this clear, if I want to bid on the bike I have to take the word of a complete stranger on eBay and bid a large amount of cash on the bike...then if I win the auction, and only then, do I get to see if the bike is exactly as described (because I've already entered a contract and the only way out is if there is a flaw in the description)...

I don't think so.

Still, the 2005 spec bike has probably stymied the market for him anyway. Why buy a secondhand 2004 R when you can get all the same kit on a brand new 2005 999 for £11,500
Old 15-Sep-2004, 10:55
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Quote:
Originally posted by Jools Why buy a secondhand 2004 R when you can get all the same kit on a brand new 2005 999 for £11,500

Apart from the Ohlins forks / rear shock , radial brakes , adjustable frame (it's not just painted red you know) carbon bodywork .....................
Old 15-Sep-2004, 11:15
500SD

compared to the 05 'stock' 999 and 999s, the 999r looks like extremely poor value for money, i know it always been ducati's marketing but this time i think they have got it wrong in respect of the 05 range.
I won't now be buying the new 'r'. The only bike now worth a premium is a desmodici, but i think that is 10k overpriced. It should be 25k, then my dough is on the table.
There isn't the exclusivity anymore to warrant the price premium on 999r, even reading the official blurb on ducati.com doesn't have that much to get you going about the new bike! after reading about the other 2.
My guess is there will be lots of 'r's sat in dealers showrooms getting dusty!
Old 15-Sep-2004, 11:21
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I agree, I don't think Ducati have done themselves or their recent customers any favours here.

I for one would even contemplate putting money down for an 05 999S if my money wasn't already down for a Paul Smart 1000 .. and then thinking about the Multistrada S (Or Neil Spaldings Multistrada R!) ...

Maybe I should just finish mine off (slipper, rearsets etc etc) before I spend more on another bike.

And yes Mark, I know.

I must get a Paul Smart 1000
I must get a Paul Smart 1000 .. repeat ad nauseum

(my bluddy C&P wasn't working then - how annoying ...)
Old 15-Sep-2004, 12:03
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Chillo has summed it up precisely.

The new 999S is the one to have. All the go faster bling bits except the carbon fairing and a few scant horsepower (according to ducati.com there is 7bhp between them). You even get the 'racing kit' with the S just the same as the R.

The price difference is reputedly about £5K...£5K that doesn't seem to buy much. You could have a low mileage ST or Multistrada as an everyday hack bike with the change, or a 748 trackbike or .....
Old 25-Sep-2004, 17:10

Mood: like a pig in sh_t!
Why would you want to get a 04/03 999r, when the future 999 basic is going to kick its arse and save you around 3 to 4 grand on a new bike to a s/hand R. Ducati have had all their testing done for them by all the 02, 03 & 04 999 purchasers. and after all the problems we (especialy i) have had with a 999s, ducati repay us by building a more powerful base model (05)better and cheaper than the old R. Thank god i did not by an R otherwise i would have been on for blowing 8k instead of 4k, thats 2000 pints of carlsberg for me thankyou very much. Ducati have tacken the _ISS, thats fact, they will not take the _iss again. Exclusivity means nothing anymore to Ducati. PROFIT & NUMBERS DO.