Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Jan-2006, 10:57
Mille

Mood: Big bill-money well spent
oil feed mod

If the testastretta engine has a revised and improved oil feed to the heads can anything be done on the desmoquattro to improve it.
Old 28-Jan-2006, 11:38
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Haven't found anything yet
I've spent some time on this now and although i've had a few ideas, the mechanics of them have stopped it going any further.
The 'stretta is a complete design change, not merely an improvement.
The feed is taken directly off the pump, the feed is directly into the heads through shorter, larger bore pipes and the head design itself means that more oil is retained around the rockers when the engine is not running.
Although still a problem, the newer rockers are much better. If you look after them and warm the bike up gently then you'll get good life out of them. It's good practice to keeping the engine in good order to

There's always, i'm afraid, going to be the occasional horror story. The rockers are a contributary, but there are several other factors to.
Valve shimming is critical. Oil type, warming up practices etc. My original 748 motor had 18000 miles on it and not one rocker!
Old 28-Jan-2006, 19:59
Mille

Mood: Big bill-money well spent
Thanks nelly

Haven't stripped the engine yet but i intend to do it myself, the megacycle rockers look like the best way to go but given my very limited budget and a six month old son, i'm probably going to do the shims and hope the rockers aren't too bad.
The bike had 14k kilometers on it when i bought it and i've used silcoline fully synthetic and warmed it properly before every ride.